1939 song written by Ross Parker and Hughie Charles. Several hit versions of it were recorded (Guy Lombardo made it to #24 on the Billboard charts in 1941; Benny Goodman hit #16 in 1942). Perhaps, it's best known as a signature song for British singer and sometimes actress Vera Lynn (yes, the one referenced in the Pink Floyd song). She took it to #29 on the American charts in 1954.

Of course, the song is probably best known to younger audiences as the sweet, lyrical piece of music that accompanies the images of nuclear weapons exploding at the end of Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). The version used is by Lynn. The first verse (in italics) isn't sung in the movie version.

We'll Meet Again

Let's say goodbye with a smile dear
Just for a while dear, we must part
Don't let the parting upset you
I'll not forget you, my sweetheart

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day

Keep smilin' through
Just like you always do
Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away

So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know?
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day

Kind of hard to imagine the original "custard pie fight" ending would have improved on that.
"Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!"

Lyrics, with the exception of the first verse, from "Modern History Sourcebook: There'll Always Be An England and other War Music" at http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/ww2-music-uk.html; copyright information:

Unless otherwise indicated the specific electronic form of the document is copyright. Permission is granted for electronic copying, distribution in print form for educational purposes and personal use. If you do reduplicate the document, indicate the source. No permission is granted for commercial use of the Sourcebook.