Author: Sara Douglass
ISBN: 0-76534-196-4

Enchanter is the second book of the Axis Trilogy/The Wayfarer Redemption.

In this book, Axis has become aware of his magical heritage as the StarMan and savior of the realm of Tencendor. The land of Achar has split into two divisions - those who are with Axis and those who are with his half-brother, king of Achar - Borneheld.

But far more dangerous than Borneheld is Axis' other half-brother: Gorgrael the Destroyer. Gorgrael leads an army of ice-wraiths and abominations created by magic from the northern ice-lands into Tencendor with the sole purpose of extinguishing life.

The StarMan faces the challenge of reuniting the Acharites under one leader, and the greater task of reuniting the three long-estranged races of Tencendor - The Acharite, Avar and Icarii peoples.

If Axis is succesful in defeating Borneheld and re-uniting the races of Tencendor, he must still meet the armies of Gorgrael and eventually Gorgrael himself to fulfill the Prophecy of the Destroyer.

Enchanter is very well written - anyone could read this book. The character development is good and the story is well thought-out and consistent. It should be read as a part of the trilogy and wouldn't really stand up as a solo work.

Enchanter and StarMan together won the 1996 Aurealis award for best fantasy novel.

The first book of the Wayfarer Redemption is BattleAxe and the third is StarMan.