Ahhh, chocolate


It seems that if you are not addicted to the stuff, then you will at least like it just a little. I have cooked dozens of chocolate cake recipes over the years; flourless ones, rich ones, light ones, even one containing only 3 ingredients; chocolate, butter and eggs. This is the one however, that I keep coming back to time and again. It is my desert island chocolate cake recipe. It is French in origin and was originally published by the doyen of British cookery writing, Elizabeth David, back in 1960. I have tweaked it a little over time, added some more of this, taken away a little of that, but the essence remains the same.

This cake contains only a small amount of flour, relying instead on the beaten egg white foam to provide structure. This means 2 things. It looks a little rustic as it sinks slightly coming out of the oven, but it is wickedly rich and moist. It needs no icing, just a dusting with icing sugar (confectioner's sugar) or unsweetened cocoa.

There is only one proviso. As with all simple recipes, you simply must use the best ingredients you can lay your hands on. I use Callebaut couverture, but just use the finest chocolate you can find. Aim for at least 50 % cocoa content and 30 % cocoa butter.

Ingredients

  • 375gm (¾ lb) high quality bittersweet couveture chocolate, chopped
  • 270gm (9 oz) unsalted butter, chopped
  • 375gm caster (superfine) sugar
  • 9 free range eggs
  • 6 Tbs plain flour

    Method

    Place the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and set over a pot of gently simmering water. Let it melt and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.

    Separate the eggs and put the yolks into a bowl with the sugar (keep the whites) and beat until very pale and fluffy, about 8 minutes.

    Pour the yolk and sugar mixture into the chocolate and combine well, then gently fold in the flour.

    Beat the whites to stiff peaks (if you lift a fork through the (now very white) whites it will stand up in a small peak), then again very gently fold into the chocolate mixture. This will give the cake it's rise, so don't overwork at this stage.

    Line a 28cm (11 inch) round cake tin preferably spring form, with non-stick paper and pour in the cake mix. Bake in a pre-heated 180°C (355°F) oven for 40 minutes. When cooked the cake will be firm to the touch, but a skewer inserted will come out only slightly moist, not wet.

    A cake this rich needs little in the way of accompaniment, try softly whipped cream and fresh berries.