David Mack's Kabuki is a very interesting and immersive comic book tale. The initial story, titled "Circle of Blood", is about one young Ainu woman (named Kabuki), who is a member of a secret government organization called the Noh whose aim is to wipe out the criminal underworld in Kyoto. There are eight of them: Kabuki, Scarab, Ice, Tiger Lily, Snapdragon, Butoh, and Siamese, who are two siamese twins joined at the shoulder and given a mechanical limb when separated by surgery. They receive their orders from Oni, who wears the mask of a demon and whose face they never see.

The story is largely concerned with Kabuki's mother, who, as a girl, was abducted by Japanese soldiers during WWII to be sent to a military outpost to live as a "comfort woman", essentially a slave to the soldiers. But the wise and respected general at the outpost she is sent to prevents the soldiers from using the women for sexual gratification. Instead he has them perform Kabuki dramas for the soldiers.

Circle of Blood is a beautifully rendered and wonderfully intricate comic story with elements of many different genres of story added in. Part sci-fi and cyberpunk, with the future Kyoto looking like everything it should be. Part ghost story, with echoes of Kabuki's past and her mother rising to the surface of the tale more frequently as the plot moves along. It is also a brutally violent and hypnotic drama, with layers of intrigue and action scenes that leave walls and floors of buildings soaked in blood.

As stated in the original writeup, there is also an enormous amount of symbolism. From the story's opening lines ("The rainy season has begun") to the repeated images of suns and moons flowing into other objects, the seasonal / astrological metaphor is used extensively. The way David Mack plans out and combines his writing with symbolic and powerful imagery is amazing to behold. While I don't know enough about the aspects of Japanese culture used in the story to criticize Mack's work, I believe, from what I do know about Japanese culture, he captures the spirit fairly well.

Overall, Kabuki: Circle of Blood is an incredible story that I think everyone should read. It is readily available in graphic novel format - I bought it for $14.95, an excellent price considering the length and scope of the brilliant story. It's one of those books that reaffirms your faith in the comic medium.