I am so exuberant I hope it is spilling everywhere.

First I had to tell Mr. Nice Manager IN PERSON that I'll be leaving or quitting or resigning from my position, take your pick. My breath was GONE and my head was light and pounding like one of my panic attacks coming on but I was already at the door to his office and there was no way out.

I do not think my leaving is coming as a surprise to anyone here. The endless refrain of all my status updates and assessment meetings was "Girl you have Potential but lately seem to be a bit distant". They were right. I was scheming. I have my next position neatly lined up, with one precise month of freedom from termination here to new start date there. Out with the old, In with the new. Huzzah! Now I can't stop GRINNING.

Having talked to him, the letter I sent my manager was functional and brief:

May 2, 2001

To: Mr. Nice Mngr

CC: Mr. Scary Client Rep

Mr. Human Resource Guy

To whom it may concern:

This is a tendering of my resignation, effective Friday, May 25th.

Ms. Stand/alone/bitch

Everything feels sweet today, and I am debating the use of resignation as a word for what I am doing. To me it is not a matter of surrender or patient submisison, (like good old Webby says) but a decision of Power and Freedom.

Or something.