There's no better way to say "welcome" to summer than with a not-too-heavy sweet bread laden with tons of one of summer's best fruits: blueberries!

Blueberries are used in many early and mid-summer recipes, which makes this recipe perfect for May Day/Beltane celebrations. Also, it's good by itself without the suggested white chocolate, for those who might prefer it to be a little less of a "dessert" bread.

Try making this and serving it as a hot treat before the height of the summer sun is upon us!

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 9-inch loaf pan. Mix the dry ingredients from the flour to the spices in a large bowl. Combine eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a medium bowl. Make a well in the dry bowl and add the wet. Stir until just moist. Fold in the blueberries and the nuts. Spoon into the pan and bake for 60 minutes to 75 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack. Wrap and store overnight.

Drizzle with the icing the next day. To make the icing, melt the chocolate, stir in the sugar, and then add milk tablespoon by tablespoon until it's thin enough to drizzle. Chill the loaf in order to set.

Yield: 1 loaf
Source: This is my friend Charlotte's recipe; she said it came from one of those old mini-magazines, possibly Pillsbury
Use for: Beltane

Pagan recipes