The game show "You Don’t Say" was essentially a ripoff of "Password," albeit a fairly successful ripoff. Two contestant/celebrity teams competed to identify people, places, or things by clues given by their partners. These clues had to take the form of a sentence ending with a blank, with the blank being a portion of the puzzle, often in soundalike form.

Example: "In school, you study English, science, and a subject that involves addition and subtraction, which is called..." This might be the first clue given for Walter Matthau.

The first team to identify three puzzles won $100 and played a bonus puzzle with three clues; the answer was worth $500 in bonus money after the first clue, $200 after the second, and $100 after the third.

"You Don’t Say" began as a local show in Los Angeles in 1962 with host Jack Barry. It moved to the NBC network on April 1, 1963, at 3:30 Eastern time with a new host, Tom Kennedy, and stayed on the daytime schedule in the same time slot until September 26, 1969. A weekly prime time version aired Tuesdays at 8:30 from January 7 to May 5, 1964.

The show returned on July 7, 1975, this time on ABC at 4:00 in the afternoon, but still with Tom Kennedy. In the revival, there were four celebrities giving clues to two contestants, who won $200 if they could solve the puzzle on the first clue, then $150 on the second clue and $100 on the third clue. The prize in the bonus round was up to $1,000.

The new version only lasted until November 26, 1975, but it was then revived again in syndication for the 1978-79 season with Jim Peck taking over the hosting duties.