Patterns and images made on the top of espresso drinks, using steamed milk.


"Some controversy exists within the coffee community as to whether or not there is excessive focus on latte art amongst baristas. The argument is that too much focus on the superficial appearance of a drink leads some to ignore more important issues, such as taste.7 This is especially relevant with new baristas."
—wikipedia


Latte art is the production of patterns in the crema and microfoam in many espresso-based coffee drinks. The form originated in Italy but truly gained popularity in the United States during the 1980s and 1990s. This art form involves pouring steamed milk into a shot of espresso in such a way that it forms patterns like hearts, rosettas, and tulips. The technique was popularized by baristas in Seattle, who began experimenting with different pouring methods to enhance the aesthetic appeal of their coffee. As this type of "Starbucks" coffee culture grew globally, so did the art of creating these delicate designs, leading to competitions and a dedicated community of enthusiasts. Today, latte art is a celebrated skill in the specialty coffee industry, symbolizing both the creativity and craftsmanship of baristas worldwide.

There are a couple of features of espresso drinks that allow this art to happen. First is the crema|espresso's crema, a mid-brown foamy emulsion , a combination of oils liberated from the coffee grounds, the liquid coffee itself, and bubble foam crated by the outgassing of carbon dioxide from the beans. Second is the microfoam created by the steaming of the milk. It's the microfoam that forms the bulk of the "paint" of latte art, on the canvass of the crema. The effect begins by the addition and incorporation of the bulk of the steamed milk into the espresso shot, and followed by slowly allowing the microfoam onto the top of the drink. Various clever manipulations follow and skilled baristas can produce quite elaborate designs, which, even though I do not desire or need them personally, I can at least admire the dedication and skill required to produce them. One barista produced a passable, if slightly mutated cat on a cappuccino for my birthday, quite a delightful thought. I may be a picky snob, but I'm not an arse. She got a nice tip, although I'm perfectly happy with no art, just the monk's head. Pour it in, let the foam and crema fall where it will.

My admiration is buffered by the fact that baristas often spend time creating latte art which they then hide under the takeaway cup's lid. How stupid is that? The world has gone mad. This illustrates a part of the problem that causes controversy; that appearance has now trumped flavour in the coffee world. Latte art is de rigeur these days in seemingly every coffee drink.

Of course, there are detractors amongst a narrow slice of coffee purists. I don't really care what my coffee looks like, I need it to taste of coffee, it does not have to look like a Peets/Starbucks barista's artistic fantasy coffee. Certainly any coffee drink meant to include milk without foam (like a cortado or caffe macchiato) better not be served to me with art—there will be words, and possibly, no tip. And yes, I have been served a macchiato with an elaborate heart. I do not frequent that café any more. Call me out all you want for that, maybe I do deserve it, even if I still buy their beans at their market stall (I may be a picky snob but I am not stupid; they do the best decaf roast I ever had).






$ xclip -o | wc 
605