I haven't been much in the mood to write lately, after writing and revising a business plan for the freelance accounting business I launched at the beginning of the month. It's been slow going on that front. I've been getting a lot of questions but not a lot of business; a lot of people have asked about having me do their taxes in a few months, which doesn't do anything for me right now.

Another thing crushing my creativity was the recommendation by one of my patrons that I look into military/Social Security disability. I knew right off the bat that I wasn't eligible for military disability; none of my medical problems are even vaguely service-related, so I didn't waste time looking into that. On the other hand, it would appear that my ongoing diabetes and its associated leg wound may qualify me for Social Security disability and SSI, which is a supplemental income scheme for the poor and disabled. Which I apparently number among, according to the application...I turned in the applications, and now I feel profoundly depressed. Probably the best explanation for that is that I feel as if I've lost the game, accepted the "fact" that I have failed at life.

I am also jumping through the hoops to go back to community college this fall, to take some of the remaining courses I need to finish my associates' degree. My patrons and other friends seem to think the AAS will actually do me some good as I hunt for jobs/promote my business; I myself am dubious about this. Having finished off most of the really hard (accounting) courses in the degree program, most of the courses I have left are introductory business courses, the kind I can pass without too much effort. In truth, I'm really doing it for the student loan money.

We'll see how it all works out. Right now, I am having a hard time being optimistic; most of my potential futures seem to involve cardboard boxes in the desert outside of Reno.