IT IS A TIME WHEN MAGIC IS MORE POWERFUL THAN SCIENCE,
AND ONLY THOSE WHO CONTROL THE MAGIC CONTROL DESTINY.
THEY ARE THE...
VISIONARIES

Visionaries was a great cartoon I used to love during the 1980's, when I was younger and before cartoons degenerated to the tripe they show nowadays.

As far as I can remember, the world was nice and sophisticated, and man ruled the world with the power of science. One day, however, a disaster occurred that bore uncanny resemblance to the Year 2000 bug - The Great Cataclysm. The world was plunged into darkness. Many died. During the chaos, however, some were gifted with the power of Magic. They split into two factions, the Spectral Knights and the Darkling Lords.

Members of both groups wore mystic armour with cool looking holograms on the front depicting various animals; the characters could use their magical powers to transform themselves into the animal in the hologram for a short period of time. They could also use magic to cause large explosions and fireworks for the purpose of blowing the other side up. You could tell them apart because the evil group wore earth tones and all had silly beards, while the good guys wore blue and were cleanshaven.

Both sides fought each other it the quest for a sorcerer named Merklyn, who would enhance their powers, enabling them to destroy the other side for ever.

The series featured good animation and was not afraid to depict violence. I can't remember much about other aspects of the show's quality, other than the fact that I liked it a lot. It ran for 13 episodes.