Sourdough pancakes are heavenly. They are light, tangy, melt in your mouth bites of pure delight. They freeze well, so a large batch can theoretically be made up and kept for awhile. Somehow, that never seems to happen at my house. They disappear as fast as I make them, and none ever seem to be left over. Hmmmm.

To make these pancakes you need a good sourdough starter. There is a recipe noded here, and many cookbooks also have good instructions. Be aware that getting a starter to a usable stage takes at least 4-7 days, and the longer the starter has been active, the more distinctive the sourdough taste is.

THE RECIPE
Make the basic batter the night before. Put one cup of sourdough starter in a large glass mixing bowl (NEVER use metal bowls or untensils with sourdough) Add 2 cups of warm water and 2-1/2 cups of flour. Mix thoroughly and cover with a plate. Keep the bowl in a warm place overnight. The mixture should be quite active with fermentation by morning. In the morning, remove 1 cup of the batter and put it back into your original starter. This is called feeding the starter, and will help keep your starter active.
Add to the batter left in the bowl:
    • 1 egg
      2 TBS oil
      1/4 cup dry milk
  • Beat thoroughly and add:
    • 1 tsp salt
      1 tsp baking soda
      2 TBS sugar
  • Blend together and allow to rest for a few minutes. Then drop with a tablespoon onto a hot greased griddle. Keeping the pancakes to silver dollar size will keep the texture and taste better.
    Yields 30 silver dollar pancakes