First ministry of Sir Robert Peel, as the name suggests of an unusually short length. King William had dismissed the previous Prime Minister, Viscount Melbourne in October 1834 because of the direction he was taking towards the Irish Question. Lord Wellington was summoned by the King to form a government, despite being a Tory and the Whigs having a majority in the House of Commons. Wellington, however, refused and recommended Peel become Prime Minister in his place. Sir Robert had to be sent for by horseman as he was taking a holiday in Italy at the time. Eventually Peel returned to take office at the beginning of December.

Peel's ministry largely had its hands tied because it was a minority government. It did, however start the process of ecclesiastical reform. The '100 days ministry' fell at the start of April 1835, as it lost a crucial vote over Ireland. What is interesting about the ministry from a modern perspective is that the Peel government lost an election in the middle of its short life and still remains in power as it remained in favour with the King. This was, however, to be last occasion when the 'royal prerogative' was used to keep a British government in power when they did not make up the biggest party in the House of Commons.

sources:History is on my mind because of my A levels

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.