The official AmigaOne website defines it as:

"The AmigaOne is the first new Amiga specified product in over six years. Running the revolutionary new Amiga Digital Environment (DE), it represents the first step on our road to redefining the digital revolution. Targeted at those who require high performance and comprehensive functionality with an enjoyable computing experience, it is designed to be a perfect platform for both the creation and consumption of digital content, whether that be for home users, software developers, games players, artists, musicians, content producers or businesses."

It appears that Gateway, Amiga's current owner, has not defined the new product in the Amiga line very well. There's a new OS called DE, and a product specification called (for some reason or another) zico. It seems Amiga will now be devided to two different fields - software (currently including the OS and an SDK for same), and hardware - a line of PC compatable (?) systems with nothing too exciting about them.

I believe the ultimate goal is to create a Windows competitor. Will this happen? I don’t know of anyone who has actually run anything on DE Up ‘till now, but 15,000 programmers have already purchased the SDK. My hopes are high and my expectations are low...


Read all about it:
http://www.amiga.com/products/one/info.shtml

Actually, Gateway no longer own the Amiga name. The name and all associated trademarks and product lines were purchased by Animo on January 1, 2001. You can read all about the new product AmigaDE in that node. But here is a clarification of the AmigaOne product

  • The AmigaOne is a PowerPC-based motherboard and IS the first new Amiga Computer in seven years.
  • The AmigaOne will NOT run AmigaDE but WILL run AmigaOS 4.0 an updated classic AmigaOS.
  • OS updates will appear in 6 month intervals (4.0,4.2,4.5..) until eventually AmigaOS and AmigaDE merge into one product.
  • An original A1200 can be attached as a daughterboard to access the original custom chips to allow for full backwards compatibility
  • From AmigaOS 4.2, this will no longer be necessary as all Classic emulation will be available in the OS.
  • The PowerPC processors used in the AmigaOne are most likely to be the G3 and G4 range from Motorola.

Hope this clears things up. More info on the AmigaOne and AmigaOS can always be found in the AmigaOne group on Yahoo! Groups

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.