One of David's students, Anne-Louis Girodet-Trioson displayed a new emotional element akin to the troubled Romanticism of the novelist Chateaubriand. Girodet-Trioson let his literary interest take full reign in the composition of Ossian Receiving the Generals of Napoleon at the Palace of Odin (1801), painted for Napoleon's residence, Malmaison. He soon turned to a popular novel by Chateaubriand Atala published in 1801 for the literary subject of his Entombment of Atala. Girodet's unusual talent, given to cavernous gloom and spectral forms, was well suited to illustrating Chateaubriand. Girodet-Trioson won the Prix de Rome (1789) for his Joseph Recognized by His Brothers, which was influenced by the cold, sober Neoclassicism of his teacher, Jacques Louis David.
While in Italy he painted the Sleeping Endymion, (Louvre), which brought him recognition.

His Deluge (Louvre) demonstrates his interest in unusual color and lighting problems. Much of his work, including a series for Malmaison, glorifies Napoleon. His classical training was sometimes at variance with his romantic expression.

Upon inheriting a large fortune (1812), Girodet-Trioson ceased painting, shuttered himself from daylight, and wrote poetry, adjudged unreadable, on aesthetics.

Bibliography

Justus, Kevin. "Art and Culture II." Tucson , Arizona.
1992. (Lecture presented at Pima Community College.)

De La Croix, Horst, Richard D. Tansey, and Diane Kirkpatrick.
Art Through the Ages. University of Michigan: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
1991.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.