Former football quarterback who's a legend in Mississippi, and who eventually might be more known for his offspring than for his own experiences.

Manning (DOB: May 19, 1949; Drew, Mississippi) went to college at Ole Miss (University of Mississippi), where he became an All-American. In 1970, he finished 3rd in the voting for the Heisman Trophy (behind Jim Plunkett and Joe Theismann), a year after finishing 4th.

In the 1971 NFL draft, Manning was taken 2nd overall (behind only Plunkett) by the New Orleans Saints. Unfortunately, the Saints teams of that era was horrible. Manning was the Saints' quarterback from 1971-1982, and the team never had a winning season during the time. However, he had some good seasons, going to the Pro Bowl following 1979 and 1980. In that 1980 season, the Saints were a horrible 1-15, but still Manning excelled enough to be named a Pro Bowler, throwing 23 touchdowns and for 3716 yards (both career highs). Still, similar to basketball star Pete Maravich, Manning got lost in the shuffle nationally while playing for bad New Orleans teams.

In 1982, Manning was traded to the Houston Oilers and played sparingly for the Oilers and then the Minnesota Vikings, before leaving football after 1984.

Since then, Manning's done alot of public speaking and community service work in both New Orleans and Mississippi. In 1992, he was named Mississippi's Greatest All-Time Athlete and is still revered in both Mississippi and New Orleans.

His legacy might be his genes, rather than his own accomplishments. In 1998, middle son Peyton Manning was drafted 1st overall in the NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts, and has since been one of the league's top quarterbacks (surpassing his father's NFL career). Father and son combined to write a book "Manning: A Father, His Sons and a Football Legacy".
Youngest son Eli is currently impressing many as a sophomore quarterback at his father's alma mater, Ole Miss (Peyton went to the University of Tennessee, to the dismay of many in Mississippi).

Eldest son Cooper played wide receiver for Ole Miss before a neck injury cut his football career short.

Archie attends Eli's games at Ole Miss and is still loved statewide. In fact, the speed limit on-campus at Ole Miss is 18 mph...18 being Archie's uniform number.

Info taken from various websites and memory.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.