A deciduous tree native to North America. It's a kind of white poplar. It's a very popular name for businesses, probably because it's close to the beginning of alphabet. Like all poplars, the aspen grows very quickly. They are often among the first trees to pop up after a forest fire, and are so tenacious that they've been known to take over groves of older established trees of other species.

Aspens, Populus tremuloides, are generally small, beautiful trees known for their quaking leaves, intense yellow fall color, and beautiful white bark. They generally prefer moist areas and are found in the Sierra and the Rockies, as well as other areas. Something few people know about aspens is that they reproduce almost entirely underground by 'suckers' and 'cloning'. If you see a large stand of aspen, they may in fact be one genetically identical organism, connected underground via roots. Some of these clones cover many acres and are considered to be among the biggest life forms on Earth.

Asp"en (#), Asp (#), n. [AS. aesp, aeps; akin to OHG. aspa, Icel. osp, Dan. aesp, Sw. asp, D. esp, G. espe, aspe, aspe; cf. Lettish apsa, Lith. apuszis.] Bot.

One of several species of poplar bearing this name, especially the Populus tremula, so called from the trembling of its leaves, which move with the slightest impulse of the air.

 

© Webster 1913.


Asp"en (#), a.

Of or pertaining to the aspen, or resembling it; made of aspen wood.

Nor aspen leaves confess the gentlest breeze. Gay.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.