The Baltimore City Police Department has its roots in the creation of a force in 1784 to guard the city of Baltimore. Constables were appointed and given police powers to keep the peace. The State officially created the department on March 16, 1853 passed a bill which stated that all police officers should be armed and provided with a badge and a commission.
After that, the police department had a steady and progressive growth:
The Baltimore Police Department’s jurisdiction encompasses an area of 86.0 square miles: 78.3 of land and 7.7 on waterways. The present Headquarters Building of the Police Department was opened in 1972.