BearShare is one of a few clients that have sprung up from the Gnutella network. Since Gnutella is a flawed program (as many are), to keep the network stable and healthy, people who are in "control" of the network (Clip2 and others) have deprecated the original Gnutella client, and have moved on to others such as BearShare, LimeWire, Gnotella, and the like. Bearshare is the greatest of the Win32 clients, due to its rich feature set, and native executable property. It manages traffic and hits well, and does a lot to keep the network flowing.

It has many features that make sure that it is superior to Gnutella, such as a notification when a new BearShare is available, Quality of Service meters, better searching, etc.

Updates to the distributed network clients (such as BearShare) and relying upon an agreed upon standard are crucial to the survival of the network. Without such diligent improvement, bugs in older versions will cause the death of the scalability of the network as we know it.

The bearshare website is:
http://www.bearshare.com

Unfortunately, the BearShare installer adds to your system several spyware programs; these programs can then be removed using ad-aware. Not that BearShare is a bad program by any means, but I resent their decision to add spyware.


Started registry scan.
======================
OnFlow key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\onflow\

Suspicious keys found : 1


Started folder scan.
==================
Aureate folder:C:\Program Files\Odigo\adcache

Suspicious folders found : 1


Started file examination.
=========================
Doubleclick file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\nrussell@doubleclick1.txt
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\ieonflow.dll
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nponflow.dll
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\onflowplayer0.dll
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\onflowreport.exe
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\nponflow.dll
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\onflowplayer0.dll

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.