Bluto was the villain character in most of Paramount's Popeye cartoon shorts, produced by Max Fleischer, which carried on the adventures of the popular Popeye comic book characters, starting in 1933. Bluto did not always play the same character, exactly, though. In a way, those shorts were quite similar to more critically respected dramatic pieces, especially in the sense that they relied quite heavily on stock characters in their stories. Although the idea behind both Bluto and Popeye was that they were each sailors who often fought over the love of Olive Oyl, the creators of the cartoon were able to change the exact role of each character according to the theme of each individual cartoon. For example, in order to carry off a caveman cartoon, Bluto and Popeye would become rival cavemen--therefore changing some important parts of their respective characterizations, such as their clothing, speech, and professions, while retaining certain identifying characteristics, such as Popeye's pronounced forearms, corncob pipe, and affinity for spinach and Bluto's rotund build and beard. In this way, the Popeye shorts carried on a practice of stock character use that can be traced to the Commedia del Arte performances of Renaissance Italy and even further back to the plays of Ancient Greece and Rome.

Also, Bluto was a fat guy who wore a hat and had a beard. He fought with Popeye, usually over Olive Oyl, as previously stated.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.