Currently "God Save The King".


"Now that the Queen has died you'll need a new National Anthem."
— someone earlier today


Of course we won't. The National Anthem of Britain just needs a couple of minor modifications and it's all good. Changing "Queen" to "King" and the few gender pronouns does the job.

The song dates to the 18th century, being adopted during the reign of George III (yes, that King George!) in 1745.

Its use is not dictated in law or Royal Proclamation, but rather is derived from common custom. Because of this there has long been a movement to replace it. The main objections to the current version are on religious, political or pacifistic grounds, atheists objecting to the "God Save The King" bit, pacifists object to most of the rest. In common with many national anthems, it contains references to war or violence and republican and anti-monarchists dislike references to the person of the monarch. All sides have a point, but thus far there has been no real move to change it.

On a side note, God Save the King/Queen has also seen use in other countries either as a national or royal anthem. Commonwealth countries such as Canada and Australia retain it as a royal anthem.

The situation is complicated by Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each having their own national anthems, respectively Flower of Scotland, Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau and Londonderry Air. England notably lacks its own, although Jerusalem is sung at many sporting matches.

Alternative anthems like Rule, Britannia are frequently suggested. Land of Hope and Glory seems to be the best contender, with rousing music by Edward Elgar and lyric by Arthur Benson. It is popular at the Last Night of the Proms and again, at some sporting matches.

God Save the King!






$ xclip -o | wc
299

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.