Chick Corea (born 1941) is one of the more distinctive composers and performers of jazz in the modern era.  A prolific recording artist, he has released over 90 recordings to date since his first in 1966.  His piano playing is melodically unmistakable and technically brilliant.

He, along with Miles Davis and John McLaughlin and others, is credited with being one of the creators of a new form of jazz called fusion.  In the early 1970's, his Return To Forever, as well as John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, (and don't forget Miles -- both Chick and John McLaughlin appeared on Bitches Brew), combined experimental music with jazz and rock and funk and other influences from around the world.

He has worked with many jazz greats: Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Eddie Gomez, Stanley Clarke, and such modern talent as Al DiMeola, John Patitucci and Dave Weckl.

Two of his best known compositions are Spain and 500 Miles High.  Spain has become a part of the standard repertoire of fusion, and is routinely recorded and performed by many artists ranging from straight jazz outfits to overachieving rock bands to a very talented Czech bluegrass band.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.