v. to put a foot down in order to catch your balance on a difficult section of trail. "I made it without crashing, but I had to dab once."

From the Dictionary of Mountain Bike Slang

DAB - Digital Audio Broadcasting is currently the prevalent standard in many countries for Digital Radio.

DAB allows for "crystal-clear" sound quality (although not quite CD quality), a more robust signal which is less prone to interference, better usage of frequencies to allow for more stations to be broadcast, and carriage of data information - such as text information displayed on tuners, and web pages to be displayed on computers.

amnesiac's Digital Radio writeup has more information on the type of compression used.

Dab (?), n. [Perh. corrupted fr. adept.]

A skillful hand; a dabster; an expert.

[Colloq.]

One excels at a plan or the titlepage, another works away at the body of the book, and the therd is a dab at an index. Goldsmith.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dab, n. [Perh. so named from its quickness in diving beneath the sand. Cf. Dabchick.] Zool.

A name given to several species of flounders, esp. to the European species, Pleuronectes imanda. The American rough dab is Hippoglossoides platessoides.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dab (?), v. i. [imp. & p.p. Dabbed (?); p.pr.& vb.n. Dabbing.] [OE. dabben to strice; akin to OD. dabben to pinch, knead, fumble, dabble, and perh. to G. tappen to grope.]

1.

To strike or touch gently, as with a soft or moist substance; to tap; hence, to besmear with a dabber.

A sore should . . . be wiped . . . only by dabbing it over with fine lint. S. Sharp.

2.

To strike by a thrust; to hit with a sudden blow or thrust.

"To dab him in the neck."

Sir T. More.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dab (?), n.

1.

A gentle blow with the hand or some soft substance; a sudden blow or hit; a peck.

Astratch of her clame, a dab of her beack. Hawthorne.

2.

A small mass of anything soft or moist.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.