Album: Darkdancer
Artist: Les Rythmes Digitales
Label: Wall of Sound Recordings
Year: 1999
Rating: 4/5
Summary: Fun, catchy music that pretends to be from the eighties.

Despite being released in the late nineteen nineties, Darkdancer is a faithful emulation of eighties dance music, from the sounds used to the arrangements of the tracks. Whether this is a good thing or not is up to the listener to decide, but this imitation is done very well by someone who clearly genuinely loved the music of that era.

Regardless of your feelings about the eighties, this album is worth a listen. The melodies are hummable, the basslines are thick and the rhythms make you want to dance. Couple this with good, clean production and you have a fun collection of tunes.

The only real down side to Darkdancer is that some of its tracks - Hypnotise and From: Disco To: Disco in particular - use short vocal samples in a repetitive manner, which gets tiresome quickly.

Repetition aside, this is a thoroughly enjoyable album. The catchy hooks of (Hey You) What's That Sound? and Jacques Your Body (Make Me Sweat) are guaranteed to get you moving, while Take a Little Time and Sometimes are enjoyable songs with full lyrics.

Overall, this is a lighthearted, fun album that's sure to brighten up your day.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.