In the fantasy genre Eddings has written 4 series The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Elenium and The Taumuli, 2 prequels Belgarath The Sorceror and Polgara the Sorceress, a compilation of his research notes for the world of the Belgariad The Rivan Codex and a stand-alone fantasy novel "The Redemption of Althalus".

His style is humorous and fluid, particularly in the dialogue between characters, with realistic banter which makes his characters more engaging and beleivable than extended description would do. Often criticised as being unoriginal and a formula writer, a perception not helped by the fact that all four series contain a very similar cast of characters, and an oddly familiar plot.

It is important to note, however, that when first published The Belgariad marked a departure from the formula fantasy of the time, which was firmly rooted in Lord of the Rings. His wizard was not a distant puissant and aloof character, all knowing and all wise, but an irritable rogue, given to boozing, wenching, lying and theft. The light-hearted tone of the series made it a breath of fresh air amongst the often turgid fantasy of the time, without being as juvenile and specious as Piers Anthony

He has tended to milk it to death since though.

His most recent novel, Regina's Songis a crime thriller - I haven't read it, so can't comment - it would be nice to think it marked a return to mainstream for Eddings, since his two mainstream novels "High Hunt" and "The Losers", both written in the seventies/early eighties are quite different. "High Hunt" is a journey of self-discovery for the main character, a recently released G.I, and "The Losers" a dark and compelling examination of life on welfare and how the social services system affects those caught up in it. Both these books were written before the publication of The Belgariad, but did not achieve any notable success until later.

"The Losers" is probably Eddings at his best, showing his ability in characterisation, plot and his often dry wit

As far as his fantasy novels go, he has a certain fixation on little blue gems of immense and unbelievable power that cannot be handled by mortal man.

In the Belgariad and the Mallorean, it was the Orb of Aldur. Only the Gods or Belgarion could handle the little pebble in question.

In the Elenium and the Tamuli, it was the Bhelliom. This little blue flower made of Sapphire and could only be handled by either Sparhawk or the Gods.

In both series, these little blue objects are parts of forces beyond comprehension, both with polar opposites. They have powers beyond reason. They are plot devices.
I do love all the books that David and Leigh wrote. I'm just jaded about this little blue gem complex.
Edit: someone pointed out to me that the Bhelliom is made of Sapphire. Which is why it's called the Sapphire Rose. Duh me.

Biography:

David Carroll Eddings was born on the 7th July, 1931 in Spokane, Washington. He grew up around Seattle before moving to Portland, Oregon to do his Bachelor of Arts at Reed College, where he apparently wrote a novel for his thesis.

Eddings was drafted into the army in 1954 and sent to Germany, which he apparently enjoyed, due to being able to speak German and carry a machine gun. He was also able to travel around Europe, and was paid for it. On his return, the G.I. Bill paid for his Masters at the University of Washington, which he completed in 1961.

Eddings tried his hand at many jobs at this time, ranging from grocery store clerk to buyer for the Boeing company. He married his girlfriend Leigh, and took up teaching college English. Finally, after he had quit teaching, Leigh and him moved to Denver where he wrote his first novel, High Hunt, in 1973.

Starting life as a map on a piece of paper, The Belgariad would prove to be Eddings' big break. Published in 1982, the story was remarkably popular, and each book in the series became a bestseller. This trend continued with The Mallorean, the first book of which was published in 1988. The next series, The Elenium, was set on a different world to the previous two, and this was followed by The Tamuli.

Eddings has revisited The Belgariad/Mallorean universe on three recent occasions, with the publication of Belgarath the Sorceror, Polgara the Sorceress, and The Rivan Codex. It was during this period that he started putting his wife's name on his books as co-writer. His last book, The Redemption of Althalus, was a departure from his series format and is set in a new universe.

Bibliography:

The Belgariad

The Mallorean

The Elenium

The Tamuli

Single Books

Commentary

David Eddings writes some of the greatest stories I have ever read. I do not rate him as A Great Author; his plots are usually carbon copies of each other, with holes so big you could fit a bus through, and he is unashamedly sentimental. But his characters are just so damn good. He creates the most fantastic little worlds, and populates them with the craziest, most wonderful people and things before inviting you in to join him.

I am almost ashamed to say that my greatest fear on this earth is that Mr. David Eddings dies before he writes another series.


Bibliography taken from http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/David_Eddings.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.