Davka

A Hebrew(and Yiddish) word meaning just-so, precisely or exactly.

Also a new play by Jane Liddell-King of Cambridge University, performed by Chutzpah Theatre Company in January 2003 at the ADC, Cambridge. Exploring conflict between Jewish and Non-Jewish Lithuanians during the Holocaust

Davka explored the conflicts thrown at a young Jew, Uri, who is forced to leave his home village (shtetl) when the Germans invade during WW2. On his return with the Russian Army he finds that everyone he knows has been killed by the Lithuanians from the neighbouring town. Uri is both devastated and enraged, eventually deciding on a fiercely destructive response to the deaths of his family and friends.

The play is about conflicts, tension and release. Uri is neither justified nor condemned.

It really happened.

Davka was written over a period of several years, culminating in a reading and then a performance (with some of the same actors) at the Cambridge ADC. Timed to coincide with Holocaust day, it was a poignant reminder of some of the shocking events that took place and how people learned to cope (or not) with their grief and anger.

Reviews were mixed, but overall positive. Unfortunately, until Jane returns my little red Davka folder, I can't add them to this writeup.

See Talking to G'd for an exploration of Uri, post Davka.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.