A lot of people have asked me about this group called DeMolay. It's not a secret group, despite its ties to Masonry. It does have some secret handshakes and passwords, like a fraternity, but that's it. It has its oddities, but it's overall for good.

It all started with Frank Land and some kids. Frank Land had some boys get together that had lost their fathers in war, and just needed a place to get away from the house. He wanted to help these kids to have a place to learn to respect and help the community around them. DeMolay is named after Jacques DeMolay, the last leader of the Knights Templar.

DeMolay is an organization for young men between the ages of 12 and 21 that teaches the virtues of Love of Parents, Reverence for all that is Sacred, Courtesy, Comradeship, Fidelity, Cleanness, and Patriotism. These are the "jewels" of the Order and help prepare a young man for the years of manhood. DeMolay is not a religious organization, although a belief in God is a prerequisite for membership. DeMolay chapters are sponsored by Masonic groups and have advisors to guide the young men.

To join, you have to go through two different initiations. The Initiatory Degree, where the Seven Cardinal Virtues of a DeMolay is explained. And the DeMolay Degree, where everyone dresses up in a costume, and puts on a play about the trials of Jacques DeMolay for you to watch.

Some people who have been a part of DeMolay include Walt Disney, John Wayne, Walter Cronkite, along with others.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.