Operation Rich Peasants: Part 2

last week on Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The clock has just ticked over here in eastern Australia and it's now Boxing Day

It's been a busy week. We had the end of the school year, a bad cold, my birthday and Christmas. Despite all that we have finally finished emptying the house down to the bare bones.

Inside the house:

Removed from the premises:

  • 7 carloads of donated goods
  • 4 trash packs of rubbish
  • half a small truck of furniture
  • 4 wheelie bins of rubbish and recycling
  • Odds and ends returned, given away or sold

Waiting in the shed:

  • Furniture and boxes of stuff taking up a little less than 2 car spaces, but it isn't stacked up at all, and there's still room to get the bikes in and out comfortably. If we were to stack the stuff properly it would take up about 2/3 of a car space.

Not properly sorted:

  • The Tupperware Drawer. Hey, it's Christmas, cut me some slack! I've been busy. Christmas Eve I made lemon pie, chocolate mousse, bear claw biscuits, egg custard, smoked chicken stock, bathed three dogs and did the traditional secret silent midnight bicycle construction. The day before that I cleaned the house (again) and hosted a dozen people for a dinner party involving homemade smoked meats and souffle (and then cleaned up).

Several of the presents we got for Christmas (and my birthday) were replacements for items we are getting rid of. We are selling our beautiful, beloved dining table. It used to be a monastery door. But it has never quite fitted our rooms or our lifestyle, so it (and the 6 chairs) are going. Instead, we now have one of those fold-down Ikea tables and three stackable stools. I also got rid of the massive ironing board, and replaced it with a tiny table-top version.

Now that the house is emptied the restocking has begun. As we unpack each box we are reviewing and culling Yesterday I brought in the three large boxes of linen that were left after the initial cull. I put half of it in my linen cupboard, the rest is waiting to donate. My linen cupboard is comfortably spaced and 70% full.

We brought in one box of assorted clothing, and filled another 2 grocery bags to donate. The rest of the clothing is put away in the wardrobe.

The china cabinet is organised. We have thrown away or donated around 40 mugs, glasses and beer steins. I've cut down to a single fondue set. The punch bowl now fits inside the cabinet instead of on top, I kept the one nice serving tray I actually use, and we are selling the second, smaller china cabinet that we only ever used to put pretty knick-knacks on.

I did keep all twenty champagne flutes, and all 6 different sized square cake tins. But I did donate the C-cup cake tin.

Over half the boxes in the shed are full of books. Tomorrow we get started filling the bookshelves... Let's call it Unboxing Day!

 


 

I just had a birthday. Yes, I know, I mentioned it several times already. It was a lovely birthday. I got some poems, a Gold Star, an easter egg, a wu about my nodername, some beautiful messages from noders. And this is my 100th wu. So thank you. Yes, you. If you could see me, you would see that I am smiling right at you, and I'm asking if you'd be okay with a hug or a fistbump. Yes, I'm still talking to you. Even if we've never talked before, you're reading this now and I appreciate your time and attention.

My daughter and I flew home last night, Washington Dulles to Seattle. I fell asleep on the plane and slept nearly the whole trip. My daughter then did the two hour drive from Seattle to home. A caffeine headache got me up at 4 am west coast US time, since it's 7 on the east coast. Also by 4 I have ten hours of sleep in the last 24.

We had a lovely trip. Eight days staying with my son and his girlfriend, two with a friend I've known since the 1980s in Virginia. My son and girlfriend took two days off and drove us from Maryland to Fredericksburg, Virginia to my aunt and one of my cousins, then to Roanoke to the other aunt and cousins, then to Culpepper to see a friend of theirs. On the way to Dulles I said, "Thank you both for being willing to live here, for working for the government and for driving us everywhere. I am so glad I don't live here." It's all a massive snarl of highways with the Beltway 8 lanes or 10 or 12. Practically everything is 4 lanes. We were on the Beltway two days ago and a guy on a motorcycle was fooling around. Three times he did wheelies at 70 miles an hour and then burned past us weaving out of sight. No armor, either, doing this in khakis and sneakers. My daughter says the motorcycle had three foot placement setups for tricks and looked like something out of Tron. I say "Donorcycle." Life is apparently cheap.

There are very few people that I would risk staying with for 8 days. But my son and his girlfriend are so nice and nice with each other. They set the bar high for hosting. It was a delight.

Happy HanKwanChristSolNewtonmas to all.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.