Picture a two dimensional creature, much like A. Square, except without the awareness of the third dimension. Along with Mr. Square, there is a fish tank with a fish in it (both 3-D). Hook up two different video cameras to two adjacent sides of the fish tank. From these two video cameras are two displays.
          Camera A
         /
       |/_

   +-----+
  /     /|
 /     / |
/     /  +   <- Camera B
+-----+  /
|     | /
|     |/
+-----+

+-------------+  +-------------+
|     |       |  |     |\      |
|  |\/ \/|    |  | |\ /----\   |
|  |/|o|\|    |  | | |  | o<   |
|    \_/      |  | |/ \____/   |
|     |       |  |     |/      |
+-------------+  +-------------+
Mr. Square can see both of the displays and perceives the fish as two separate two dimensional entities - they are not the same being because they look different. However, our two dimensional friend does notice that when one of the creatures does something the other creature reacts is effected. Yet, with a two dimensional world view, Mr. Square is incapable of recognizing the relationship between these two apparently different entities as being two different two dimensional views of a larger entity.

You and I are both beings within the third dimension, and while we can easily recognize the folly of Mr. Square, it is quite possible that we are making the same mistake in our own life. We see two different organisms and make the mistake of believing that they are two separate entities with no bonds between them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.