Sir Donald Bradman is regarded by many as the greatest batsman in the history of cricket and is one of Australia's most revered sporting personalities.

Donald George Bradman was born at Cootamundra, New South Wales, on 27 August, 1908, the fifth and youngest child of George Bradman and Emily, nee Whatman. The Bradman family moved to Bowral in 1911 and took its place in the activities of the local community. Cricket was one of the district's popular sports and the young Don Bradman showed an interest from an early age. When there was no-one to play cricket with him, he devised his own way of perfecting various techniques, using a cricket stump to hit a golf ball thrown against the tank-stand at the rear of the Bradman house.

At the age of twelve he scored his first century for Bowral High School; at seventeen he was the youngest member of the Bowral cricket team, where his ability to make runs broke the club's records. Before he was nineteen he was selected to play for the New South Wales Second Eleven against a Victorian side. He also played for the Sydney team St George and while a member of that team was selected to play for the State Sheffield Shield side in December 1927. Bradman's first match for New South Wales was against a Barrier side at Broken Hill that month. His first century against another State side followed immediately after in Adelaide, when he scored 118. He was selected to play in the 1928-29 Test Series against England and in the Third Test, in Melbourne, he made 112, his first century in Test cricket.

'The Don' is best known for his first-class cricket batting average. Sir Don's last first-class innings was in 1948 against England at the Oval, and he required only to score 4 runs to average > 100 runs. Ironically, the (arguably) greatest test bastman was bowled for a duck by Eric Hollies.

Sir Don averaged 99.94 runs from 80 innings (10 innings not out, a total of 6996 first-class runs). His average is miles clear from the rest of the field, the next highest first-class average being 60.97 runs by Graeme Pollock.

Sir Don was also the first living Australian other than a Royal to feature on a stamp issued by Australia Post, on the inaugaral Australian Legends issue in 1997.

Sir Donald Bradman passed away in his sleep as a result of pneumonia on Sunday, February 25, 2001.

Sir Don Bradman is without argument the greatest batsmen in cricket ever. He is an Australian living legend. 'The Don' is the only Australian ever knighted for services to the game of cricket. He is listed as one of the sporting greats of the 20th century.

Don Bradman played cricket from 1928 to 1948. He was born on 27 August 1908, Cootamundra, New South Wales. http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/AUS/B/BRADMAN_DG_02000492/ARTICLES/BRADMAN_PAGES/

In 52 test matches he averaged a mindboggling 99.94 runs. The next highest average to date is 60.97 runs by RG Pollock of South Africa. He was said to have intense concentration, excellent foot movement and amazing hand-eye coordination. His best scoring stroke was the pull shot, played all along the ground in the arc from mid on to backward square leg. He caused such aggravation to the English bowlers which prompted the infamous Bodyline series.

In his test match career he scored 13 50s and 29 100s (this includes 2 triple centuries and 6 double centuries). His highest score was 334 runs against England at Leeds, 3rd Test, 1930. As a sign of the reverence and awe held by Australians for Don Bradman, Mark Taylor (Australian Captain and Opening Batsman) forfeited his wicket upon reaching 334 runs in a test match against Pakistan (at Peshawar, 2nd Test, 1998/99) in honour of the great man.

In first class cricket his highest score was 452 runs not out. (http://www-aus.cricket.org/) Not only was the score a large one but the rate at which he scored the runs (400 minutes) was also phenomenal. It is argued that World War II robbed Sir Donald of some of his best cricketing years.

The Don required only 4 runs in his last innings in a test match against England in 1948 to obtain an average of 100 runs. He was dismissed (bowled Hollies) for 0 runs. In a total of 80 innings he was only dismissed 7 times with 0 runs.(http://www.bradman.sa.com.au/)

Don Bradman brought hope to a nation gripped by depression and mourning the loss of men in the trenches of World War I. When released from prison decades later, Nelson Mandela asked, "Is Don Bradman still alive?" (http://cnews.tribune.com/news/story/0,1162,sunspot-olympics-76588,00.html He is still alive and all of Australia hopes he can make 100.


As a footnote to Sir Don's passing away.

I expect the churches will be quite full this sunday. "Anyone who can get The Don out in the 90's is worth listening to". <--- anyone got a reference for that saying?

Sir Donald Bradman
Would be a very glad man
If his average was .06 more
Than 99.94

R.I.P.

He's not Don Bradman, you know.

Australian colloquialism, used when explaining to someone that they are asking too much of a person. Derived from the fact that Australian cricketing hero Don Bradman could do anything*. The use of the "you know" (accompanied with a slight raising of voice tone) shows a common trait in Australian slang; turn as many statements around into questions. The common reply to this saying would be: "Yeah, I know mate"

"Hey Robbo, if ya gonna go to the pie shop, get me a steak an onion pie... oh an get us a snagger roll and a coke thanks mate. Yeah and couldja be back before the ads finish?"
"Back before the ads finish? Hey Simmo, I'm not Don Bradman, you know."

* Well ok, Don Bradman could do anything provided he had a cricket bat in his hand.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.