Emergency Medical Technician are the folks who scrape you off the road after a car accident. They have less training than a paramedic but provide Basic Life Support. In many areas of the United States, EMT's on ambulance squads are volunteer. Some EMT's are just medic geeks, you can distinguish them by excessively heavy utility belts. These EMT's are dubbed whackers.

Also Equivalent Megatonnage:

A measure used to compare the destructive force (well, really potential) of differing combinations of nuclear warhead yields against countervalue targets. EMT is computed from the expression:

EMT = NYx
  1. Where N = number of actual warheads of yield Y;
  2. Y = yield of actual warheads in megatons;
  3. x = scaling
EMT also stands for electrical metallic tubing. EMT is used in commercial buildings, industrial installations (factories, mills, etc), and some residential structures for the purpose of routing (and protecting) electrical wire from one location to another. One would use EMT to run wire from a circuit breaker panel to light fixtures, or feed lines from a transformer to a set of switch gear.

EMT comes in several flavors. There is basic EMT, thin, galvanized steel pipe, which is relatively light and easily bent. It is used in residences and business type structures where it is unlikely to come under physical stress or attack. Then there is rigid EMT, which is thick, hardened pipe suitable for industrial applications. Rigid conduit is used where the wires inside must have the greatest level of protection (usually explosion proof). Rigid is heavy, bulky, and can be challenging for the electrician to bend properly with a number of manual or electric pipe benders.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.