ENTJ refers to a personality type outlined by Isabel Myers under the Myers-Briggs system. ENTJ represents an individual with a preference for -

  • Extroversion (as opposed to Introversion)
  • iNtuition (as opposed to Sensation)
  • Thinking (as opposed to Feeling)
  • Judgement (as opposed to Perception)
  • .

    ENTJs tend to be both very confident and quite expressive; as a result they are natural leaders and will often end up in positions of authority of various sorts. These attributes are largely due to the dominance of their Extroverted Thinking function, which, aside from being very external (e.g., extroverted), is also both decisive and objective in nature. This makes the ENTJ able to calmly reason through situations, make decisions, and be firm and confident in those decisions. Perhaps this is part of the reason that many, many US presidents and other political leaders have been ENTJs (see the list below, for example).

    Unlike their fellow Extroverted Thinker (the ESTJ), ENTJs percieve things in a more abstract and less literal way (they are, after all, an intuitive type), and thus tend to be better at thinking creatively and critically. This can manifest itself in a variety of ways: ENTJs are often brilliant at debate and public speaking, they can be very good planners and strategists, and (as mentioned above) they tend to excel at leadership positions that will utilise their decision-making skills. All of these potential talents are due to the combination of their confidence, expressiveness, objectivity, and their tendency to think in terms of the complex and abstract.

    Just as they tend to have certain natural strengths, there are also certain weaknesses common among ENTJs. Individuals of this type can at times end up excessively compromising their ideals in their quest for power and authority. As the type has a preference for objective thinking rather than subjective feeling, some ENTJs can potentially become cold, hard-nosed, overbearing - and thereby antisocial. Finally, the ENTJ can be known to cut corners on routine tasks (unlike the concrete, detail-oriented ESTJ), sometimes causing bad things to happen.

    Functional Heirarchy

    Primary: Extroverted Judgement (left-brained) - preference for Thinking

    Auxillary: Introverted Perception (left-brained) - preference for Intuition

    Tertiary: Extroverted Perception (right-brained) - preference for Sensation

    Inferior: Introverted Judgement (right-brained) - preference for Feeling

    See Jungian Functions for more information about the specific mental functions referred to above.


    Famous ENTJs

  • Kofi Annan
  • Lucille Ball
  • George W. Bush
  • Bill Clinton
  • Hillary Rodham Clinton
  • Mikhail Gorbachev
  • Emmylou Harris
  • Charlton Heston
  • Adolf Hitler
  • Saddam Hussein
  • John F. Kennedy
  • Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Robert E. Lee
  • Jim Lehrer
  • Rush Limbaugh
  • Wynton Marsalis
  • Saint Paul
  • Ronald Reagan
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Margaret Thatcher
  • Barbara Walters
  • George Washington
  • George F. Will
  • ENTJ Noders

    Taken mostly from MBTI Types of E2 Members

  • bookw56
  • Flooffy
  • Knile
  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.