A piece, which can be plastic but is usually metal, which is narrow at one end but flares out at the other, either in a curve or at a right angle. For example, the top of a drain flares out from the drain-pipe to form a ring which is perpendicular to the angle of the pipe, and which sits on the upper surface of the bottom of the sink - that is the flange.

Metal or Plastic Pipe Flanges

Flanges are the connectors used in process piping to connect pipe to tees, elbows, tanks, valves, pumps and whatever other equipment may be necessary. Other methods of connection are threaded, welded or tri-clamp ends.

Flanges in North America are standardized by the ASME Boiler Code and ANSI B16.5 Pipe Flanges and Flanged Fittings. Each flange has a rating which are in a series which runs 150, 300, 600, 900, 1500, 2500. Each series mates only with itself and this defines the maximum pressure at various temperatures that the flanged item can be subjected to. However, this maximum pressure depends on the material of construction of the item. The sizes defined go from 1/2" up to 24". Flanges larger than 24" are defined elsewhere or are specially engineered as per the Boiler Code.

Similar classification systems are used in Europe as defined by DIN and Japan where they are defined by JIS.

Between mating flanges, a gasket is placed. Then the flanges are bolted together squeezing or crushing the gasket which creates an effective seal.

A significant detail of a flange is whether it has a raised face onto which the gasket is placed or if it has a flat face. Flat face flanges are typically used with cast iron materials whereas raised face is used almost everywhere else. Other types of faces are around as well, such as ring type joints, large or small male/female flanges or tongue in groove faced flanges.

Pottery Flanges

In pottery, a flange is a shoulder or step on one part, say a lid, designed to mate with another part that has a hole in it, say a pot.

A derogatory slang term for the female genitals. Because, well, I guess we needed another one as the lexicon was previously woefully inadequate to describe all the possible types of trim availble in modern society. Primarily British.

See also: minge, gash, axe-wound

Flange (?), n. [Prov. E. flange to project, flanch a projection. See Flanch, Flank.]


An external or internal rib, or rim, for strength, as the flange of an iron beam; or for a guide, as the flange of a car wheel (see Car wheel.); or for attachment to another object, as the flange on the end of a pipe, steam cylinder, etc.



A plate or ring to form a rim at the end of a pipe when fastened to the pipe.

Blind flange, a plate for covering or closing the end of a pipe. -- Flange joint, a joint, as that of pipes, where the connecting pieces have flanges by which the parts are bolted together.


- Flange rail, a rail with a flange on one side, to keep wheels, etc. from running off. -- Flange turning, the process of forming a flange on a wrought iron plate by bending and hammering it whn hot.


© Webster 1913.

Flange, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Flanged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Flanging (?).] Mach.

To make a flange on; to furnish with a flange.


© Webster 1913.

Flange, v. i.

To be bent into a flange.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.