This is an old west recipe. We used to make these on top of our woodstove and they'd make the whole house smell delicious.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the water, oil, yeast, and sugar. If you have a stand mixer this works best, else you're getting a workout.
- Prove for 20 minutes in the bowl.
- Use a dough hook or your robotic cyberized android arm attachment, slowly add the salt, egg, and flour.
- Knead with the dough hook for 10 minutes. You'll have Popeye forearms when you're done.
- Divide into 12 units and roll each into a ball shape.
- Place in a greased oversized iron skillet (authentic) or a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Prove for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown and the interior is properly baked.
- Brush the tops with salted butter.
These were great and easy to make, especially when we did it on the woodstove. If you use the woodstove method watch the bottoms so they don't burn. Pop in the oven and broil the tops until golden.
Iron Noder 2017