In curling, the set of four concentric colo(u)red rings at each end of the sheet of ice. The rings are, outermost in: the twelve-foot ring, the eight-foot ring, the four-foot ring, and the button. A rock lying anywhere within this area may, potentially, score.

House - a style of electronic music, originally a descendant of disco. In the mid-80s, disco had been around for nearly a decade and was suffering from massive commercial exploitation. In a classic example of the over-exposure syndrome, the "Disco Sucks"-campaign made people burn their disco records in public display. The leaders of the underground dance scene in the US, the DJ:s and the producers, had stepped off the disco train since long, and was already developing a new, deeper, more dance-oriented sound: house. Already, the first singles specifically aimed at DJ:s - the 12 inch singles - had emerged on the market, with longer intros and outros and long percussion breaks, to facilitate mixing. Now, European electronic music and dub was thrown into the mix, and dance music entered a new era. The name "house" comes from one of the pioneering clubs that started playing house music, the Warehouse in Chicago, with resident DJ Frankie Knuckles. This club also gave name to a certain style of early house, Chicago House. Another pioneer was Larry Levan, who played the Paradise Garage - ironically, he was the Warehouse's first choice, but he didn't want to leave New York. The Paradise Garage also has a style of house named after it, Garage House. Note that the Garage House of today is a completely different thing from the original. Often, one is asked to describe the difference between house and the predominant other electronic dance music genre, techno. This is like trying to define the difference between rock and pop. Sometimes, people one refers to house as "black music" and techno as "white music" - which is a very sloppy and misleading definition, further illustrated by both genres being both pioneered and dominated by black men. However, the analogy does cohere with predominant social prejudice. As a general, house often features accentuations of the 2nd and 4th beat in the bar (with a hi-hat or snare drum, for example) and is often said to have more "soul" in the music, while techno has a straight beat and a more pumping, electronic sound.

In gambling terms, the Casino, racetrack, or other establishment where bets are placed. The House makes its money by either betting against the player directly, in which case the House has a built-in edge, or by taking a cut of the action, if gamblers are betting against each other instead of the House.

HOUSE



House dance is a part of new school dance. According to Ejoe Willson who is considered one of the best house dancers in NYC, it started out around 1988. It is dance for house music.


While hip-hop music is mostly listened by African Americans, house music is loved by all races and many kinds of people. It is like 70's disco music. Therefore, there was much more cultural diversity in house clubs and the house dance was established from this atmosphere.


Hispanic people who has a background of salsa or Milenge, Africans who do african dance, brazilians who do capoeira - afro brazilian martial arts, b-boys, hip-hop dancers, Jazz dancers, tap dancers, all these people created house dance in NY. Capoeira has influenced house dance a lot.


In house dance, music controls your body while in hip-hop, you control your body to the beat. This means that house dance is more free style than hip hop and its emphasis is on footwork.



See Also Breakdancing, B-Boying, New School, Capoeira, Be Bop, Locking and Popping.

KANJI: KA KE ie (house, home, specialist)

ASCII Art Representation:

                     %%,,
     %               %%%%%
   ,%%,              %%%%                 ,%%%,
  ,%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
,%%%%%                                    %%%%"
%%%%%"                                   %%%"
"%%""                           ,%%%,   %%"
      "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                 ,%%%%,
              ,,%%%"  %%,                %,,
          ,,%%%%""   ,%%%%,             ,%%%%%
      ,,%%%%""     ,%%%%%%%%          ,%%%%%"
  %%%%""         ,%%%"    %%%,      ,%%%%%"
               ,%%%"     ,%%%%,  ,,%%%""
            ,,%%%"     ,%%%%%%%%,
       ,,,%%"""      ,%%%%%%%% "%%,
    %%%%""         ,%%%%% %%%%  "%%%,
                 ,%%%%%"  %%%%    "%%%,
              ,,%%%%%"    %%%%      %%%%%,,,
          ,,%%%%%""       %%%%       "%%%%%%%%%%
    ,,,,%%%%""            %%%%         "%%%%%%%"
%%%%%"""                ,%%%%"           "%%%%"
                "%%%%%%%%%%%
                   ""%%%%%"

Character Etymology:

A roof or building encompassing the radical for pig. Scholars long believed this character referred to the supposed ancient practice of keeping pigs in the home. However, many modern scholars now believe this radical to used phonetically to express leasure/relax, giving the meaning a building for relaxing.

The pig may have also been associated with not working, which is why that character may have been chosen as the phonetic substitute; as opposed to a working animal such as a horse. Ironically, this character has come to mean (house of) a specialist.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: KA KE
kun-yomi: ie ya uchi

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: ari e ku tsuka be

English Definitions:

  1. KA, KE: house.
  2. ie, uchi: house, home, residence; housing; family, household; family name; fortune.
  3. -ya: house, shop, store, seller; dealer.
  4. -ke: family.
  5. -ka: person, profession.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 1337
Henshall: 83

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

農家 (nouka): farmhouse.
武家 (buke): a family of warriors.
(sakka): a writer.
(iede): leaving home; abscondence.
(iebito): the people living in a house.
(kaboku): houseboy, manservant.

  Previous: summer  |  The Japanese Kanji Metanode  |  Next: sing

House. The place in which you live. Open the door and.

Any domicile is a house, whether a full building, apartment, rented room. My dorm room was my house when I lived there. "Let's go to my house." I think this is accurate. Your house is your home. You live in this your house passing room to room or space to space as it may be, your house where you live with your family (and whoever lives there, although they aren't always, should be your family).

The house has in it several areas. Mostly you have the bedroom, the living, the kitchen, the bathroom, and not enough storage space no matter where you live. You live in different parts of the house at different times.

Kitchen. The kitchen is for living in when you are cooking, eating with people, when you are taking action, when you are up in arms scrubbing madly at the counter, when food equals sex and you know this is true. Kitchens open their arms to you from rooms away, radiating light and warmth and various interesting scents: roast beef, pie, sour milk, disinfectant. The bleach is under the sink and the fork is in your hand. Everyone lives equal and hungry in the kitchen.

Living room. These have different names and uses depending who and how you are. A couch and end table, a television, a bookshelf. You often operate in the living room as host or hostess. People come over and this is where they sit, formal, while you get them drinks. This is where they may stay if you do not know them so well, depending on you and whatever potential relationship. Living room does not have the personal items the bedroom has, does not have quite the utility the kitchen has. It is an interim; it is a difficult room to place. You live in your living room, per se. I do not live in mine.

Bedroom. Where you close the door and there you are. Your things on the wall and the floor and the bed, sheets tangled from nightmare or pristine and crisp. The window hovers over you. Here are your things. You. You close the door on everything in your room. Your room not just your bedroom this room is yours to do with as you wish. You reflect into and from it. Most people will not be in your room. It is your room. Only a very few.

Bathroom. Steam and mirrors and bathwater gathering soap and skin flakes. Toothpaste spray. Too many products everywhere. The bathroom is an odd refuge. In a crowded house it may be the only place you can shut the door to the outside. You sit in the bath hearing music from the room next door. You wash. You scrub away.

You live in your house like you ideally live nowhere else. Here you reside; you settle. It is where you belong, where you feel most like yourself. The house shelters and covers you; it sustains you in various ways. It gives you food, friends, sleep. It cleans you. It lets you escape. It surrounds you and lets you feel safe.

A house is a term that astrologers use to indicate a portion of the sky which the sun, moon, and planets travel through. The sky is dived up into twelve houses, just as the sky is divided up into twelve signs.

The houses however are not identical to the signs - the houses may be of different sizes. While the zodiac signs are always 30 degrees, the houses may be less or greater. In the "Natural Horoscope", the houses are all assumed to be exactly 30 degrees in width. This rarely occurs (it happens when someone is born on the equator) but is used as an aid for learning astrology. This type of chart is also used when the time of birth is not known and thus the actual cusps of the houses cannot be determined.

Each house has a meaning - just as the planet represents the what with respect to an event and the sign is the how, the house represents where the events manifest.

The first six houses represent the self - self development, and expression. The last six houses represent others - our relationships, and co-operations. The line between the first and seventh house cusps is the actual horizon, thus the first six houses are visible looking at the sky (known "of the sky") while the last six houses are not visible (know "of the Earth").

Between two houses is a 'cusp' where one house ends and the next begins. These can be thought of as spokes in a wheel. The first cusp appears at 9 o'clock, and the other cusps follow going counter clockwise.

The 12 Houses : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12


http://www.astrology-numerology.com/
http://www.astrologyzine.com/what-is-a-house-in-astrology.shtml

House (?), n.; pl. Houses (#). [OE. hous, hus, AS. hs; akin to OS. & OFries. hs, D. huis, OHG. hs, G. haus, Icel. hs, Sw. hus, Dan. huus, Goth. gudhs, house of God, temple; and prob. to E. hide to conceal. See Hide, and cf. Hoard, Husband, Hussy, Husting.]

1.

A structure intended or used as a habitation or shelter for animals of any kind; but especially, a building or edifice for the habitation of man; a dwelling place, a mansion.

Houses are built to live in; not to look on. Bacon.

Bees with smoke and doves with noisome stench Are from their hives and houses driven away. Shak.

2.

Household affairs; domestic concerns; particularly in the phrase to keep house. See below.

3.

Those who dwell in the same house; a household.

One that feared God with all his house. Acts x. 2.

4.

A family of ancestors, descendants, and kindred; a race of persons from the same stock; a tribe; especially, a noble family or an illustrious race; as, the house of Austria; the house of Hanover; the house of Israel.

The last remaining pillar of their house, The one transmitter of their ancient name. Tennyson.

5.

One of the estates of a kingdom or other government assembled in parliament or legislature; a body of men united in a legislative capacity; as, the House of Lords; the House of Commons; the House of Representatives; also, a quorum of such a body. See Congress, and Parliament.

6. Com.

A firm, or commercial establishment.

7.

A public house; an inn; a hotel.

8. Astrol.

A twelfth part of the heavens, as divided by six circles intersecting at the north and south points of the horizon, used by astrologers in noting the positions of the heavenly bodies, and casting horoscopes or nativities. The houses were regarded as fixed in respect to the horizon, and numbered from the one at the eastern horizon, called the ascendant, first house, or house of life, downward, or in the direction of the earth's revolution, the stars and planets passing through them in the reverse order every twenty-four hours.

9.

A square on a chessboard, regarded as the proper place of a piece.

10.

An audience; an assembly of hearers, as at a lecture, a theater, etc.; as, a thin or a full house.

11.

The body, as the habitation of the soul.

This mortal house I'll ruin, Do Caesar what he can. Shak.

12. [With an adj., as narrow, dark, etc.]

The grave.

"The narrow house."

Bryant.

House is much used adjectively and as the first element of compounds. The sense is usually obvious; as, house cricket, housemaid, house painter, housework.

House ant Zool., a very small, yellowish brown ant (Myrmica molesta), which often infests houses, and sometimes becomes a great pest. -- House of bishops Prot. Epis. Ch., one of the two bodies composing a general convertion, the other being House of Clerical and Lay Deputies. -- House boat, a covered boat used as a dwelling. -- House of call, a place, usually a public house, where journeymen connected with a particular trade assemble when out of work, ready for the call of employers. [Eng.]<-- modern name? --> Simonds. -- House car Railroad, a freight car with inclosing sides and a roof; a box car. -- House of correction. See Correction. -- House cricket Zool., a European cricket (Gryllus domesticus), which frequently lives in houses, between the bricks of chimneys and fireplaces. It is noted for the loud chirping or stridulation of the males. -- House dog, a dog kept in or about a dwelling house. -- House finch Zool., the burion. -- House flag, a flag denoting the commercial house to which a merchant vessel belongs. -- House fly Zool., a common fly (esp. Musca domestica), which infests houses both in Europe and America. Its larva is a maggot which lives in decaying substances or excrement, about sink drains, etc. -- House of God, a temple or church. -- House of ill fame. See Ill fame under Ill, a. -- House martin Zool., a common European swallow (Hirundo urbica). It has feathered feet, and builds its nests of mud against the walls of buildings. Called also house swallow, and window martin. -- House mouse Zool., the common mouse (Mus musculus). -- House physician, the resident medical adviser of a hospital or other public institution. -- House snake Zool., the milk snake. -- House sparrow Zool., the common European sparrow (Passer domesticus). It has recently been introduced into America, where it has become very abundant, esp. in cities. Called also thatch sparrow. -- House spider Zool., any spider which habitually lives in houses. Among the most common species are Theridium tepidariorum and Tegenaria domestica. -- House surgeon, the resident surgeon of a hospital. -- House wren Zool., the common wren of the Eastern United States (Troglodytes aedon). It is common about houses and in gardens, and is noted for its vivacity, and loud musical notes. See Wren. -- Religious house, a monastery or convent. -- The White House, the official residence of the President of the United States; -- hence, colloquially, the office of President.<-- also, a parliament building in Moscow --> -- To bring down the house. See under Bring. -- To keep house, to maintain an independent domestic establishment. -- To keep open house, to entertain friends at all times.

Syn. -- Dwelling; residence; abode. See Tenement.

 

© Webster 1913.


House (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Housed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Housing.] [AS. hsian.]

1.

To take or put into a house; to shelter under a roof; to cover from the inclemencies of the weather; to protect by covering; as, to house one's family in a comfortable home; to house farming utensils; to house cattle.

At length have housed me in a humble shed. Young.

House your choicest carnations, or rather set them under a penthouse. Evelyn.

2.

To drive to a shelter.

Shak.

3.

To admit to residence; to harbor.

Palladius wished him to house all the Helots. Sir P. Sidney.

4.

To deposit and cover, as in the grave.

Sandys.

5. Naut.

To stow in a safe place; to take down and make safe; as, to house the upper spars.

 

© Webster 1913.


House, v. i.

1.

To take shelter or lodging; to abide to dwell; to lodge.

You shall not house with me. Shak.

2. Astrol.

To have a position in one of the houses. See House, n.,

8.

"Where Saturn houses."

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.