Percussion rudiment of the advanced variety.

Extraordinarily difficult for young hands to play because, once again, there are severe control issues involved. The levels within this rudiment are very important so that the accented flams and inner beats are clearly delineated.

||            |           |           |            || 
||   > >   >  |  >   > >  |    > >    |  > >   >   ||
||:  X X / X  |  X / X X  |  / X X /  |  X X / X  :||
||   |_|_|_|  |  |_|_|_|  |  |_|_|_|  |  |_|_|_|   ||
||   |_|_|_|  |  |_|_|_|  |  |_|_|_|  |  |_|_|_|   ||
     
     R R l L     L r R R     l L L r     R R l L 
     
     1 e + a     2 e + a     3 e + a     4 e + a
     


X=flam  /=inner beats  Capital letter=accent hand on flam

lower case letter=unflammed inner beats



These are difficult for a snare line playing on Tendura or Falam heads because each grace note is hard to pin down timing-wise. Tenors can have a ball with these because they sound really weird when moved around the drums.
-fu = F = fuck me harder

FUBAR n.

The Failed UniBus Address Register in a VAX. A good example of how jargon can occasionally be snuck past the suits; see foobar, and foo for a fuller etymology.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Comparisons between the movie FUBAR and This Is Spinal Tap are quite common. They are both "mockumentaries" that have to do, at least tangentially, to rock and roll. Both were also largely improvised as the cameras rolled. However, while Spinal Tap spoofs the lifestyle of a rock band on the road, FUBAR takes an in-depth look at rock and roll fans: namely "headbangers". And, more than being merely a funny film, FUBAR has loftier goals than Spinal Tap. It questions the objectivity of documentary filmmaking as a whole, and also manages to be insanely funny at the same time.

FUBAR, directed by Michael Dowse, follows the lives of two stereotypical 'bangers. Terry Cahill (played by Paul Spence) and Dean Murdoch (Paul Lawrence), two life-long friends cohabiting a beat up house in a nondescript Canadian city (actually Calgary, but that's not really important). The documentary filmmaker Farrel Mitchner (who is not the real director of FUBAR, but a character played by Gordon Skilling) attempts to take us into the private lives of Terry and Dean, to reveal the truth about the banger subculture. What he gets, of course, is two guys sitting around, shotgunning large amounts of Pilsner, and generally making complete fools of themselves. But when Dean discovers that he has testicular cancer, he decides to spend his last weekend before intensive treatment by "just given'r" - going camping with Terry. The film crew follows along for a strange adventure.

Despite the simple premise, FUBAR's filmmakers (the real ones) use the situation to make an interesting point: that no documentary filmmaker can ever be completely objective, and his/her involvement in a situation will change it. To wit, Farrell, the filmmaker, inadvertently becomes one of the most interesting characters in the movie as he wedges himself into Terry and Dean's lives. The bangers tease him for his innocence and tameness, while Farrell becomes agitated that Terry and Dean refuse to do anything constructive or provide him with good documentary material. In one particular scene, the question "what do you do when you're not making movies?" causes Farrell to rant about the importance of his life since he is making a documentary, attempting to show truth. Terry and Dean fire back that, as the subjects of the documentary, Farrell's entire world actually revolves around them.

The film works very well on both levels. On one hand, we laugh at Terry and Dean's stupidity and their innane lives, while on the other we think about the false wall of "objectivity" a filmmaker makes by hiding behind the camera instead of stepping in front of it.

FUBAR was picked up by Odeon Films for release throughout Canada, and was well received at the 2002 Sundance Festival, though it was not eligable to win any awards since it was not American-made. Still, it's an admirable feat for a film made for about 350,000$CDN, (although it certainly doesn't beat the year before's independent winner: The Blair Witch Project).

Official website: http://www.fubar-themovie.com/
IMDB: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0302585

Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition.

A drinking game that involves playing cards.

Shuffle a full deck of cards and scatter them in a pile in the middle of your table. One player goes at a time picking one card. They flip over their card, displaying it to everyone. Each card has a different rule as follows:

- Ace - Take one drink

- 2 - Take Two

- 3 - Take Three

- 4 - Questions: You look at the person of your choice and ask them a question, they must answer your question with a question and it keeps going until someone screws up. Ex. What is going on? Why do you touch yourself? You don't have to question the person who questioned you either. Make sure to make eye contact.

- 5 - Give five drinks

- 6 - I never. This is where the person who flipped the card says something they have never done and anyone who has must drink.

- 7 - Thumbmaster: This person puts their thumb down on the table whenever they want and the last one to put theirs down drinks. The thumbmaster can do this as many times as he wants until the next seven is picked.

- 8 - Categories: The first person gives a topic/category and in rotation, everyone else must give a kind. Ex: Toothpaste, Crest, Colgate, Mentadent, etc.

-9 - Rhyme: Everyone must give a word that rhymes with yours. Ex: Shoe...glue...you..etc

- 10 - Social: Everyone drinks

- Jack - Assholes drink...guys drink

- Queen - Bitches drink....girls drink

- King - Waterfall: This can be extremely hard, depending on your group of drinkers. It goes in order first being the one who picked the card and so on. The first person drinks as much beer as they can continuously and the 2nd person can't stop until they stop, the 3rd person can't stop until the 2nd person and so on. If you have big drinkers at the begining, it is really difficult.

Warning: I have never played through the whole deck, and wouldn't suggest trying.

FUBAR: (adjective) Ruined, messed up, in a state of complete and utter disarray. Originally US military slang (World War II vintage), abbreviated from Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition*
Variant forms: fubar (no caps), foobar, foo-bar

Clever communication has been an important part of waging war for a very long time. Codes and jargon help soldiers interact efficiently, and with the increasing complexity throughout the 20th century, that has meant a profusion of acronyms and abbreviations—some of them useful even to us civilians.

From the PFC on KP duty (or maybe going AWOL), to the NCO taking some R & R, or going to the PX—even the CO uses abbreviations, it is just SOP. Whether they are going through BT with a heartless DI or sitting down to eat a MRE, all the GIs (even WACS, SEALs, flyboys, and leathernecks) find shorter and more efficient ways of saying things.

Unsatisfied with the official abbreviations, they invented their own crop—most of them quite colourful. In addition to FUBAR, World War II brought us SNAFU, a word meaning "Situation Normal, All Fouled Up"* and CATFU which means "Completely and Totally Fouled Up."*. Later generations of grunts, humping the boonies in the Nam gave us REMF, an insulting term for a "Rear Echelon" officer who doesn't have to see the fighting.

FUBAR (and SNAFU too) entered the vocabulary of civilians, it is a perfect, funny way to say that things are amiss. As more people used the word, alternate meanings for this little term began to emerge. Most variations start with "Fouled* Up Beyond All ..." the next word can be reality, reason, recall, redemption, recovery or repair. Additionally, the A can stand for Any. A couple of additional versions are "...But All Right" or "...But Always Running." A particularly apt one is "Fouled Up By Army Regulation."**

A couple of alternate explanations for the origin of FUBAR have come to light, as well. Some people believe that the word had pre-WWII origins in the German term furchtbar, which means 'dreadful' or 'awful.' Others contend that the word foo had come into popular usage in the 1930s as a sort of disgusted interjection (this is likely true, and it is probably a sort of sound effect word, like 'pshaw' or 'phooey'—whether it had much to do with FUBAR or not is another question). In that case, where the '-bar' came from in that latter case remains unexplained.

One final etymological theory of special magnificence remains to be examined. A few historians feel that there is a connection between FUBAR and the Norse Runic alphabet. The system of runes was called the futhark and some clever individuals draw a connection between this word and the WWII-era term. Because, you know, when things get messed up, GI's are likely to invoke the names of ancient alphabets—like they do.

* We all know that the F can stand for stronger words than 'fouled.' don't we?
** Running gag

BrevityQuest 2006


References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar
http://www.answers.com/topic/snafu
www.urbandictionary.com (although they weren't very helpful)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.