Howard Leslie Shore was born 18 October, 1946 in Toronto, Canada.

He attended Berklee School of Music in Boston.

From 1969-1972 he was a member with the group Lighthouse, which he also toured with. He wrote music and lyrics, played flute, sax and trumpet, and vocals.

Shore was one of the original creators of Saturday Night Live and served as its musical director from 1975-1980.

In 1979 he was contacted by David Cronenberg to compose a score to a small-budget movie called The Brood. This was the beginning of a long collaboration between Shore and Cronenberg, with Crash being the latest.

In 1989 he won a Genie (Canada's version of the Oscar) for his score to Cronenberg's Dead Ringers.

In 2002, Shore won an Oscar for his score for Peter Jackson's film rendition of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Upon reception of this award, Howard Shore delivered the following speech:

This is incredible. Thank you to the members of the Academy. I had the good fortune of having such fantastic collaborators on this project. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens who guided me on an amazing journey through Middle Earth. It was just a tremendously rewarding experience to translate the words of Tolkien into music and I just feel blessed to be a part of this production. I want to thank my wife Elizabeth and daughter Mae whose love and support are incredible to me and have just guided me on my journey. Thanks to Bob Shaye, Michael Lynne, Mark Ordesky, Paul Broucek, Barrie Osborne, everybody at, the crew in Tuxedo. I love you all. Thank you very much.

Howard Shore also composed the scores for the upcoming Lord of the Rings: Two Towers and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, the latter of which won him two more Oscars; one for the complete score, and one for best song ("Into The West," with Annie Lennox as the vocalist).

Selected Discography

    Lighthouse (1969) by Lighthouse (saxophone)     
    
    Peacing It All Together (1970) by Lighthouse (saxophone)
    Suite Feeling (1970) by Lighthouse (saxophone)

    One Fine Morning (1971) by Lighthouse (saxophone)

    Sunny Days (1972) by Lighthouse (arranger) 
    Thoughts of Movin' On (1972) by Lighthouse (vocals) 

    Saturday Night Live (1976) by The Original Television Cast (performer)     
    In the World (1981) by G.E. Smith (vocals)     

    Videodrome (1982)
    
    The Fly - Jeff Goldblum remake (1986)
    
    Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    
    Film Music of David Cronenberg (1992)
    Film Music Of David Cronenberg: Dead Ringers/Scanners/The Brood (1992)
    Naked Lunch (1992)    
    Prelude to a Kiss (1992) producer    

    M. Butterfly (1993) with The London Philharmonic Orchestra    
    Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
    Philadelphia (1993) ( performer)
    Sliver (1993)

    Ed Wood (1994)
    Mad Reel (1994) by Michael Doucet & Beausoleil (producer) 
    The Client (1994)

    Nobody's Fool (1995) by Howard Shore
    Se7en (1995)
    White Man's Burden (1995)

    Before and After (1996)
    Striptease (1996)
    The Truth about Cats and Dogs (1996)

    Cop Land (1997)
    Crash (1997) 
    Larger Than Life (and Live'r Than You've Ever Been!) (1997) by Crowbar (horn)
    The Game (1997)

    Analyze This (1999)
    Dogma (1999)
    eXistenZ (1999)
    Sunny Days Again: The Best Of Lighthouse (1999) (alto sax)   

    Reel Life: Film Composers, Vol. 1 (2000) by Michael Whalen (producer) 
    The Cell (2000)
    Yards (2000)

    Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    The Score (2001)

    Panic Room (2002)

If you'd like to contact Howard Shore, you can do so, care of his agency, at this address:

Mr. Howard Shore
c/o The Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency, Inc.
13245 Riverside Drive, Suite 450
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
U.S.A.
Phone: 818-461-9600
Homepage: http://www.gsamusic.com/composers.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.