The ensuing week was trying for each of the children.

To begin with, there was the abrupt lack of strict scheduling, for six children who had lived a great proportion of their meager years according to a schedule. It was difficult to know what to do on any given day, at any given moment, without having a set list of places to be, and difficult to think of how the day ought to go.

Some of the children threw themselves into the courses of study they were most comfortable with already. Violet tended to stick to the library and bury her head in books of Wizarding history. Miranda tended to stick to her greenhouse and bury her head in pots of wondrous plants. Cormac tended to stick to the library and bury his head in books of wandlore, usually in Violet’s company.

Jill and Jocasta tended to throw themselves into each other, which was, to Sparrow, entirely understandable considering that they had nearly lost each other just short days ago. That it caused Sparrow to be bereft of kissing practice was of only slight concern. Yes, only slight concern. Of greater concern was that it caused both of them to be distracted from their efforts to perfect spells in their areas of expertise. As well as slightly annoyed when Sparrow pointed that out. Jocasta pointed out that, as she was spending just as much time in Miranda’s greenhouse as with Jill, she was at least getting a good start on herbology, thank you very much.

Fair enough.

For Sparrow, her greatest concern what that, with the loss of her schedule, she had lost certain personal connections arising from that schedule. Three-quarters of the student body were technically not allowed to enter her common room, not that they would have all fit in any case. So the majority of times she interacted with them, be it Percival Bulstrode or Melodious Figgle or Catarina Fletcher, was in her classes, or in the hallways if it involved a shield spell. And one of those options was currently curtailed out of courtesy, and the other had ceased. So the only students Sparrow could be sure to interact on a regular basis were those of her own house.

Sparrow felt she had been thrown together with the five people she knew best, and though she felt they were the best people she could know, they were not, and could not be, the only people in her life. She had said she loved her fellow students, and in that speech she had meant it – yet now that they were at a remove from her, present but less approachable, she felt her connection to them turning from appreciation to attachment. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so goes the saying, and Sparrow had cause to wonder if it was just a nice way of describing withdrawal symptoms. Sparrow found herself getting much more chummy with anyone she met. Perhaps she was attempting to make up for lost time.

Not that this was easy, for at first the most she could manage was a handshake and a smile, and perhaps a hastily-scrawled note if both parties had time, which they did not always have. Then again, maybe it was best if she didn’t stick around too much. She didn’t want to answer too many questions about why in heaven’s name she had been suspended from her classes, nor precisely what she was doing now. Hopefully her reputation as someone slightly cracked would let them fill in most of the blanks with their own ideas. And such a reputation was well-supported by the fact that the poor girl still couldn’t say a word to them, dear dear, what could the matter be? Was their great protector suffering a mysterious ailment? Would she still be able to cast the Shield Spell? The answer was yes, the one time someone tried a dung bomb. They didn’t try twice.

The fact that many students heard brief words from nowhere when she was around only added to their confusion. Well, Sparrow was trying to do the mental-message thing with them, and it just wasn’t working properly. She couldn’t figure out why.

As for her personal connections to the teachers, writing notes to them was much easier because they did not have to rush. Unfortunately, being able to speak to them now felt rather awkward. If she had been in classes, she could simply ask to speak for a few minutes after class. But now that she was not, she would have to wait outside their classrooms for an opportunity, which, considering Sparrow’s reputation as someone slightly cracked, was even less of a dignified situation than usual.

So, if she wished, she could consult them in their offices, but then, if she was currently not part of their classes, would she feel welcome? Many was the moment she hesitated outside their offices, hiding just out of their view, wondering if they would wish to speak with her, and, for the most part, deciding against it. Save for the one evening where she mustered her courage, marched into the office of Professor Budge, saw him look up from his paperwork with an air of surprise, and – slap a note down on his desk and march right out of the room.

He had to know she was continuing to attempt non-verbal spells but Sparrow certainly did not feel like answering questions.

There were two teachers she could communicate with, without as much anxiety, and perhaps she should have consulted both of them. But the one she wanted to give some space, beyond scheduled meeting times, and the other…might find a request for divination too much to bear, at the moment.

Sparrow could also communicate with her parents. She could. All she had to do was write a letter and send it home. But that would involve explaining what had happened, without sounding like she was blaming them for their advice, or throwing herself immediately into peril. Evening efforts to write in a delicately diplomatic manner resulted in an entire foot of parchment covered in first lines crossed out. She was not certain that it was even worth saying anything more than that she was doing fine. But, considering all that had occurred, to leave it at that would be a monumental lie.

Violet’s advice to stick entirely to fact felt insufficient. There were more than facts in play and there was the shame of not having told her parents what sort of peril she would be attempting. How would it be possible to reassure them that she would be alright? Jill said they knew what kind of shield she could make, and they knew about her ambition already, so the rest was details.

Still didn’t feel right.

Between the silence towards her peers and the silence towards her elders, Sparrow found herself clinging to Violet’s company as much as she clung to Jill, on occasion dragging Jill into the library with her. Violet knew all the answers, or would know eventually. That was reassuring in its own way, and as Cormac was usually with Violet and as Jocasta was usually with Jill, that brought four of five friends together, which was just as well, because everyone felt a little awkward wandering the halls outside of class times. It was not as though it was easy to explain to the portraits what had occurred. It was much easier for Sparrow to focus on her studies with friends around. It was also easier for Violet, at least once she insisted on a respectful degree of quiet.

Unfortunately, the most Violet could answer Sparrow’s primary question, in this first week, was to promise that she would find the truth eventually.

Such a pledge to find the answer eventually did not help Sparrow now, alas. She was desperate to communicate with her fellow students, more than ever, and communication by note was fairly clunky. On occasion she tried to write in the air with the aid of the sparkler-wand spell, which would have looked more elegant if she had ever truly mastered the cursive script. Many of the students who had it down perfectly were amused by her efforts.

Save for one poor first-year, by the name of Ignotius Nott, who, upon the midmorning of Thursday, beheld the bright words hanging before him with a curious look, of the sort that a student has when they are desperately maintaining a blank face to avoid revealing that they know less than they were instructed to know by today’s lesson. Sparrow had put on such a face many times in her Transfiguration class.

Sparrow dismissed the letters with a wave of her wand and brought out a roll of parchment from her pocket. Upon seeing a pencil in Sparrow’s hand, the expression on Ignotius’ face changed from barely-concealed shame to barely-concealed terror. He fled, leaving Sparrow to wonder what on earth she had done wrong.

It was only on the next day about noon that she met the lad again, in the third-floor corridor just before the room of the reflecting pool, whispering to a couple of his fellow first-years. A Ravenclaw girl named Belladonna Yamakeg, and a Gryffindor named Johnny Sebastiano.

Sparrow could not catch what they were saying, but Belladonna noticed Sparrow, whispered more urgently and seemed to be gesturing to Ignotius that he should go and speak to the older girl.

Ignotius would not budge. He had to be dragged towards Sparrow. By both arms.

Johnny on his left arm said, “Begging your pardon, miss, but we wanted to explain what’s going on here. Well, Ignotius did, and then he got cold feet, so maybe I should tell – ”

Sparrow shook her head, and put her finger to her lips.

“But Iggy here wanted you to know!”

“I think she means she can’t speak,” said Belladonna.

Sparrow took her parchment and pen out of her pocket, and wrote upon it, If Ignotius wishes to reveal his embarrassing problem, he must do it himself. You must not force him.

She handed the note to Johnny, who read it and whispered to Ignotius. Ignotius shook his head.

“Please, miss. You’re putting too much on him here. And he told us we could tell. The trouble is that Iggy here can’t read.”

Sparrow blinked, her face blank in utter confusion.

“We’ve been covering for his essays all year but none of us have had the time to actually teach him – and we heard you got kicked out of all your classes for some reason, so we thought you would have more time – um – well maybe that sounds a bit weird – ”

“Please,” said Belladonna. “He needs some actual teaching and none of us want to speak to any of the teachers.”

Sparrow took her parchment back and scribbled upon it, Did you consider asking Hagrid?

“He’s kind of scary.”

Scribble scribble scribble. What about one of the ghosts?

“They gossip.”

Scribble scribble. Well you know I can’t keep my mouth shut, right? Good old Sparrow Jones yammering her wild ideas to the whole world.

“You’re keeping your mouth shut all the time now.”

Scribble scribble scribble scribble. Which means I’d have a devil of a time teaching anyone to read, eh? But it sounds as though you trust me.

You’re the mistress of the shield,” said Johnny. “And you’re nicer than you used to be. Um. Except for that dueling thing where you made your own girlfriend break her wrist. That was weird.”

Scribble scribble scribble scribble. Personal business. Foolish anger. Upon my honor I would only do such a thing again to save a life. My apologies if I scared you. As for Iggy here, I can help, but – only to refer him to someone who can speak, and who would likely enjoy imparting her own knowledge upon another.

“Um – ”

Scribble scribble. If Ignotius is willing to reveal this business to just one more person.

Johnny whispered in his ear. Ignotius considered for a few seconds, then nodded. “She had better be able to keep a secret,” he said.

Sparrow nodded.

“How are you sure?”

Scribble scribble. Let’s say we all have our personal business, and leave it at that.

Johnny read the note and said, “Who is this person – ”

Scribble. Violet Brown.

“Ohhhhhhh. Library girl. Alright.”

“Who?” said Ignotius.

“Library girl. Always in the library? Ring any bells?”

“I’m never in the library, dummy.”

“Always wears lavender from top to bottom?”

“Oh, that girl. She seems kind of stand-offish. Snippy.”

“Worse than Professor Warbeck?” said Belladonna.

“Probably not. Alright. You introduce me to Violet Brown, and we’ll just have an Unbreakable Vow to make sure she keeps her mouth shut.”

Scribble scribble. How on earth did you learn how to cast that one?

“He’s a dab hand with the wand,” said Belladonna. “Long story. Can I tell – no? Fine. Long story. Leave it at that. You just tell Violet that young master Nott here is coming her way and why – ”

“I’ll tell her why myself,” said Iggy. “Thank you very much. I’m not over yesterday’s awkwardness.”

◊◊ AND FOR THAT I AM SORRY. ◊◊

Ignotius stumbled backwards in startlement. “Who on earth is – ”

Sparrow pointed to herself.

“You do speak.”

“What are you hearing?” said the lad on Iggy’s left. “Why can’t I hear it?”

“Dunno. It’s very convenient, though, if you want to speak in strict confidence. Why didn’t you do that before, Miss Jones?”

◊◊ MY APOLOGIES. IT IS NOT RELIABLE. I AM NOT SURE YET HOW I AM DOING IT. VERY STRANGE INDEED, EH? I WISH I COULD TALK TO YOU LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME, AND TEACH YOU, INSTEAD OF PASSING YOU OFF TO SOMEONE ELSE. ◊◊

“Maybe that wouldn’t be a good idea,” said Ignotius. “You’re a bit loud. Can you speak more quietly?”

I don’t know how to turn it down yet, thought Sparrow.

“Hello?” said Ignotius. “Cat got your tongue again?”

◊◊ SORRY. I’M STILL FIGURING THIS OUT. THERE’S NOT MUCH MORE I CAN SAY HERE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO GET TO CLASS BUT – KNOW THIS, MY YOUNG FRIEND. I AM SORRY TO HAVE PUT YOU IN AN AWKWARD POSITION YESTERDAY. I WILL TELL VIOLET THAT YOU NEED HER AID, AND I WILL NOT TELL HER WHY. YOU HAVE MY WORD. ◊◊

I’d really like to do an unbreakable vow to make sure.”

◊◊ PLEASE. THAT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS MAGIC. YOU ARE SKILLED ENOUGH TO DO IT, BUT YOU HAVE NOT CONSIDERED THE CONSEQUENCES. WOULD YOU REALLY RISK YOUR ENTIRE LIFE JUST TO KEEP THIS SECRET? ◊◊

“Maybe.”

◊◊ PLEASE. I WOULD NOT WISH A TALENT LIKE YOURS TO BE DESTROYED BY OVER-REACHING. ◊◊

“You’re reaching pretty far yourself,” said Iggy. “Maybe too far. Did you think about that?”

◊◊ I DID NOT. NOT BEFORE I WAS INFORMED OF HOW FOOLISH I HAD BEEN. AND NOW YOU KNOW WHY I AM SUSPENDED FROM CLASSES. KEEP THAT IN MIND. AND REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE MY WORD. IF YOU TRUST ME, IT SHOULD BE ENOUGH. IF YOU TRUST ANYONE, YOU SHOULD NOT NEED A TERRIFYING SPELL OF OATH-BINDING. DO YOU TRUST ME? ◊◊

“Well, yeah, I mean I’ve trusted you this far. And I guess I’m making it sound like I don’t. Sorry about that.”

◊◊ THEN CAST NO UNBREAKABLE OATH FOR ANYONE. UNLESS, PERHAPS, A SECRET REVEALED WOULD MEAN A LIFE ENDED. ◊◊

Ignotius nodded.

◊◊ GOOD LUCK TO YOU, THEN. ◊◊

Ignotius bowed, with his friends following his lead, and then they departed for whatever class they had.

As they were nearly around the bend, Sparrow Sent Ignotius one last message, saying, ◊◊ I AM GREATLY CONCERNED FOR YOUR LIFE, YOUNG FRIEND. ◊◊

Ignotius paused.

◊◊ I FEAR THAT YOU HAVE INDEED CAST THE UNBREAKABLE vow, AND BOUND SOMEONE TO YOUR SECRET. I KNOW YOU CAN’T TELL ME IF YOU MADE IT, NOR WHAT OATH YOU MADE, BUT – FOR GOD’S SAKE, FIND A WAY TO RELEASE SOMEONE FROM THE TERMS. I CAN’T LOSE YOU OR ANYONE. ◊◊

Ignotius made no sign of assent, but continued onward and out of sight.

...

The following day was the day to report to Professor Longbottom, after the day’s classes were over. And though each of the children was somewhat reluctant to gather before him, feeling that they had little progress to report on yet, the Professor informed them that they appeared to be sticking together instead of flying apart in nervous frustration, and that such a thing was a very good first step all on its own. He did not mind that they had not made any world-changing breakthroughs in the space of one week. His only recommendation at this point was for each student to begin perfecting the O.W.L.-exam spells within their area of expertise, in order to get a head start on tutoring everyone else.

As the children were departing, Violet asked to speak with Sparrow in private, and they hung back as everyone else made for the main castle doors.

Violet informed her that a young fellow by the name of Nott had sought her aid, and said that he had been sent by Miss Jones. Violet had agreed to tutor him in the evening hours, without a great deal of reluctance, although she felt as though her time had been somewhat imposed upon by Sparrow, time both to study and to spend with Cormac.

Sparrow protested that they all had an abundance of time these days, too much in fact, and Violet said that she felt dragged into this whole mess anyway. Sparrow reminded her that she had made a free choice to come along on this adventure as everyone had. Violet did not find these words reassuring. She did not want to think of Sparrow as a captain leading a charge, but as a friend and an equal – and she did not feel that she had many equals, so to have a friend become a captain was just a little disturbing.

Sparrow apologized to her for treating her as something other than a good friend. Violet apologized to her for acting like her course of study was more important than the journey they were facing. Sparrow hastily assured her that she did not mean to imply Violet should consider her personal ambitions any less important that Sparrow’s, and that the pursuit of great knowledge was a noble goal with or without anything else anyone was doing.

≠≠≠≠ AND THAT IS WHY I CALL YOU MY FRIEND. ≠≠≠≠

Sparrow and Violet alike were startled by this sudden exchange of thought. But, breakthrough though it may have been, Violet could send no further thoughts towards Sparrow, no matter how hard she tried.

Well, that was another thing to study. Violet assured Sparrow that, for the sake of Ignotius, she would always try to make sure she had time to tutor him. She also warned Sparrow that there would surely be more people looking for the assistance of their beloved Shield Maiden, as soon as word got out about this.

And indeed, there were a fair few in the next few days. Cassie Lee had  cast a bit of fiendfyre in the Hufflepuff hearth and needed the strongest barrier she could think of until the fire burned itself out. (It was some trouble for even Sparrow to hold her shield against it.) Angus Fletcher had accidentally let an Orkneyan Pixie loose in a Gryfindor dormitory and decided that Miss Jones would know how to handle it. (The answer was yes: grab Miranda and bring her along.) Gloria Maximus had challenged a seventh-year student to a midnight duel and then realized she was in over her head, so she grabbed the scariest duelist she could think of, which was…Sparrow, for some reason. (Sparrow did not need to ask Jocasta to come along, not when the Carrow girl’s pride was so wounded, nor did Jocasta need to ask Jill to come along. Jocasta and Jill together wound up giving the seventh-year student a red-hot scolding for even thinking of going through with the duel.)

And so the next few days went, as one by one the students brought their troubles to her. All of them involving situations that they would have been punished for, if the teachers had known.

By the end of three days Sparrow was not entirely exhausted, but she could feel herself getting close. And yet, currently having little other way to connect with her peers, she could hardly refuse to help – until Violet pointed out that Sparrow could wind up allowing the students to become lazy, if she did everything for them. Was she going to end up doing everyone’s homework for them? Tie their shoes? Fluff their pillows at night? An exaggeration, perhaps, but being taken for granted was a danger, especially when everyone knew she had plenty of time on her hands. And, as Violet pointed out, the school had stood for this long without falling apart from the antics of its inhabitants.

For her part, Sparrow pointed out that the school used to have one or two deaths every few years from accidents like this, even more so long ago, and that she wasn’t about to risk that again. Violet conceded that point, but asked why on earth she was letting the students believe that it was a good idea to avoid being given detention for being foolish. Sparrow realized that she hadn’t considered that matter herself. She had been under the impression that a problem big enough to require the attention of the mighty Shield Maiden was one where people were suffering enough consequences already. Surely it was dangerous to stop and measure how much someone in peril deserved aid? Hesitation could cause more suffering.

And yet, Michael Mulligan had asked her to help him sneak some items into his dormitory, and she had done so without hesitation, only realizing at the end that it was a pile of Wizarding Wheezes. She had been assuming it was something embarrassing. She had not scolded Mulligan for using her in such a manner, but had left without a word.

Thereafter she discreetly put out the word that she was beginning to wonder if her trust was being abused, and that mundane matters of neither peril nor grave shame could be easily handled by one’s own friends, thank you very much. Likewise, in the next few incidents of actual peril that Sparrow resolved, she told the student she had saved from detention that it was far, far wiser to ask a competent teacher to handle the matter, never mind risking detention – and certainly never mind the house points. Those were a lot of falderal that created competition where there should have been none.

That last one was a hard sell, but two out of three students meekly promised to ask for a teacher’s help next time. All three asked Sparrow if she could help them learn to do a shield charm better. She gave them what advice she could regarding the emotional effect of spells.

And in the meantime, Sparrow had been met by Ignotius Nott, and granted gratitude for her suggestion, albeit grudgingly. He was struggling in the early days of his learning. Sparrow tried to reassure him that a bright lad like him would get it eventually, as even she had to practice the shield spell in the beginning. He seemed to cheer up at these words.

And so, over the couse of a week and a few days, Sparrow began to feel like she had some direction again, and through it all, she did not feel alone.

She only felt slightly annoyed that Jill and Jocasta were mostly chummy with each other. Jill was keeping herself at arm’s length from Sparrow again, and Jocasta was keeping herself far less than arm’s length from Jill, which meant she wound up being an arm’s length from Sparrow. She could not teach Sparrow about the Tender Caress as she had promised. And sometimes, many times, neither she nor Jill was around at all.

Goodness, was this jealousy! The one thing Sparrow had hoped to avoid! Surely it was fair enough for Jill and Jocasta to stick to each other. And yet – if all Sparrow felt was the lack of the Tender Caress, it would be easy enough to bear, for she had lacked such a thing for quite a long time beforehand. No, there was something else missing here. For it was impossible to deny that, without Cormac by Sparrow’s side on the night Jocasta nearly died, Sparrow would have shaken herself apart.

She had said she loved Jocasta, and it was true. She felt it right down to her bones, the need, the longing

Goodness, perhaps this was obsession. Not very healthy at all. And yet, there it was. It was easy to be addicted to Jocasta’s presence as Jill was. Whenever the girl was there, Sparrow felt as though she could breathe more slowly, and stop taking matters too seriously. Whenever she was gone, Sparrow felt herself drifting towards her old sense of judgmental self-importance again.

So much for a casual relationship.

All this introspection! It was like she was the girl of October once more, letting words fill her head because they could not reach the people that mattered most to her. And yet – that was hardly true this time. She was not alone, not even completely silent. She could muster herself to broach certain subjects on a far shorter time frame than Jill had. And she could pay attention to things and people outside of herself.

In this case, she was paying attention to the gossip about how Jill had been knighted.

The students well understood that the two were dating, oh yes, Sparrow had seen to that in a spectacular fashion. But before Jocasta’s mortal peril, the talk had been of the two as one spoke of most romantic relationships. Speculation on breakups and infidelity, and so forth. The talk of their grand duel existed alongside such intrigue without crowding it out.

But oh, now there was romance. Now there was storybook romance. The students spoke of the valiant Jillian Patil, who had thrown herself into terrifying danger to rescue the beautiful Jocasta Carrow, and that they had now sworn their undying love. Now there was narrative. Finny Wambsgans told everyone who would listen that the union of Jocasta Carrow and Jillian Patil was a shining example of what they must all aspire to. By such means, where Sparrow had accidentally gained the admiration of the House of Slytherin, Jill had done the same for the House of Gryffindor.

The fact that Jill and Miranda had taken rather drastic measures in a state of sheer panic was left by the wayside. It did not fit the narrative. The narrative was of valiance. In the first few days after the rescue, people were saying that Jill had been granted an honorary membership in the Headless Hunt; after a few days people were saying that Sir Podmore had tapped Jill on the shoulders with a ghostly sword and dubbed her Lady Brave.

Which made it a sad thing to see Jill sitting alone in the room of the Reflecting Pool, staring up at the skylight. The pool was on the second floor today, but this did not prevent the grey light of day from reaching the glass, nor prevent the rain from pounding upon it.

Sparrow said not a word, but stood at an arm’s length from Jill, staring up at the glass for a moment, though in it she found little worth noting. She looked about the room, and, besides the stone walls and the four doorways, there was nothing else to see but the water itself.

◊◊ WHAT IS THIS ROOM FOR ANYWAY? ◊◊

Jill tilted her head sideways without lowering it, meeting Sparrow’s gaze at an odd angle. “Perhaps a girl better-versed in the castle’s history than me could answer that question.”

◊◊ THE BOOK OF HOGWARTS HISTORY ONLY GOES UP TO ABOUT 2030. ◊◊

Jill’s brow furrowed. “There’s been decades since then. Right?”

◊◊ EVERY BOOK OF GENERALIZED HISTORY I HAVE EVER READ PETERS OUT TWENTY YEARS BEFORE IT’S PUBLISHED. I’VE NO IDEA WHY. ◊◊

“Something for you to figure out then.”

◊◊ WHY GAZE UP AT THE SKYLIGHT ON A DAY LIKE TODAY? I SHOULD THINK YOU WOULD BE MORE INTERESTED IN THE REFLECTION. ◊◊

“Oh, please. Would I wish to look at my own reflection when my neck is all bent like this? Why, I am hideous! And what if the reflecting pool shows only my true desire of having a straight neck after all?”

◊◊ THEN I SUPPOSE YOU WOULD STARE AT YOUR REFLECTION FOREVER, AND WITHER AWAY. ◊◊

“Precisely.” Jill straightened up and shook her head. “Ah, there. Much more easily fixed than I feared.” She patted the floor next to her. “Come, my dear. Rest your weary feet.”

Sparrow sat.

Jill scooted up next to her and put an arm over her shoulder. Sparrow began to feel as warm as she did before a roaring fire.

◊◊ LESS THAN AN ARM’S LENGTH TODAY? ◊◊

“When I am less than troubled? When there is less fire in my bones? Aye, then I do not fear to be close to you, not as much as I did before.”

◊◊ LESS TROUBLED. EVEN THOUGH JOCASTA IS NOT WITH YOU? ◊◊

“Not with me physically. But here?” She tapped her breastbone. “And here?” She tapped her temple. “That’s a bit different.”

◊◊ AW. ◊◊

“I do wonder, though. About this mental link, whatever it is. I worry that it could get out of control, if we fail to understand it. And I would not wish for her to be inside my head. Nor would I wish you to be there.”

◊◊ IS IT THAT DANGEROUS? ◊◊

††††† YOUR SHIELD ONLY WORKS IN THE WAKING WORLD. †††††

◊◊ SCARY THOUGHT. SCARY THOUGHTS. SO MUCH FIRE BEHIND YOUR EYES. ◊◊

“Yet contained as well as I can. Especially with you here.”

◊◊ AM I HERE? I WONDER. I AM NOT IN THE HEROIC TALE OF YOU AND JOCASTA. I WOULD BE A KNIGHT FOR BOTH OF YOU. ◊◊

“And I would say the same to you. But there are…some things to work out between me and her, first. You know how it is. Can’t rush into anything too quickly, eh?”

◊◊ SOME THINGS TO WORK OUT BETWEEN US AS WELL. AND I WORRY I RUSHED INTO A RELATIONSHIP WITH JOCASTA BEFORE WE COULD WORK THOSE OUT. ◊◊

“Ah, well.” Jill lifted her arm from Sparrow’s shoulder, and leaned over the pool, finally bothering to look at her reflection. “I wonder if I rushed into things with you? Or if what we did in the library, so many months ago, was a culmination of three years. And I could say the same of you and Jocasta. In a way.”

Sparrow snorted. ◊◊ SHE WAS A JERK FOR MOST OF THOSE YEARS. ◊◊

“I could agree,” said Jill. “Many was the time I felt the same.” She sat up and leaned back on her arms. “So…when did you decide otherwise?”

◊◊ TOOK A WHILE. SLOWLY. I WAS JOKING AROUND ABOUT HER FLIRTING WITH ME. BUT THEN…AT SOME POINT IT WASN’T REALLY A JOKE. NOT SURE IF IT WAS BEFORE OR AFTER HER CRAZY OFFER. ◊◊

“And these days?”

◊◊ THESE DAYS I DON’T WANT TO ADMIT THAT I NEED HER. I DON’T WANT TO THINK THAT I’M DEMANDING HER TIME. AND YET…THERE IT IS. ◊◊

“Sparrow?”

◊◊ HM? ◊◊

“She needs you.”

◊◊ HOW? ◊◊

“Same way I do.”

◊◊ SO WHY ON EARTH – ◊◊

“Like I said. We have a few things to work out first. And neither of us wants to hurt you.”

◊◊ I DON’T THINK YOU COULD. ◊◊

“I did, upon a September morning. Because you loved me then. I could hurt you again, because you love me now. But that’s emotional. I am referring to physical pain.”

◊◊ LIKE I SAID. IMPOSSIBLE. Sparrow scooted over to Jill and rested her head upon the girl’s shoulder. I COULD NEVER FEAR YOU. ◊◊

“That remains to be seen. As it is, you know now that neither of us truly wishes to be distant from you. And, when I think about all we have been through already…I think of the rain.” She pointed to the skylight. “Look up, little bird.”

Sparrow raised her eyes to the glass, where the rain pattered down. ◊◊ WHAT AM I LOOKING AT? ◊◊

“The rain. Look at how it gathers. Focus on the drops, and think about how one droplet joins another.”

As Sparrow watched the rainfall, she saw the droplets running together into a slightly larger trickle.

◊◊ EACH ONE OBLITERATES THE OTHER. ◊◊

“Or, you could say they both give up their old forms to make something greater. Neither is lost, just…changed. The substance remains. And then – look there.” She pointed to a spot just a bit lower on the stream. “Another droplet joins, and the water runs wider than before. And there, and there – two more, and the stream is a course. And another, there, and the stream is a river. All running together, far stronger than they would be separately -- yet still you see each source, each part, before it joins the whole.”

◊◊ WHAT ARE YOU GETTING AT? ◊◊

“You.”

◊◊ I AM NOT A RIVER. ◊◊

Jill laughed softly. “Perhaps not. And yet – you introduced Jocasta to Miranda, and me to Jocasta, and so all three of us have benefitted, in a way. And you have brought six people together. Six people running together, now, and already we have saved each other from destruction once – no doubt again, depending on the danger we face together. So do not regret your relationship with Jocasta, nor worry that you and she might fly apart. Whatever else you two are, you run together. That’s the important thing. Just like you and me.”

◊◊ WE’RE A RIVER? ◊◊

“Possibly sweeping everything down to the sea, if we’re not careful! Maybe if I cry too much I’ll do that all on my own.”

◊◊ OH NO YOU WON’T. I’LL DO IT WITH YOU. ◊◊

“Ah, but sometimes you won’t be there.”

◊◊ WHAT IF I’M LITERALLY ALWAYS THERE? WHAT IF I NEVER EVER LET YOU GO? ◊◊

“I can think of situations where that would become very gross very quickly. But for today – today I think it would not be dangerous for you to be around me. Why, it might even be just what I’ve been looking for all along!” Jill rose in an instant, and scooped Sparrow into her arms. “Maybe today, you get to be the princess.”

Sparrow did not protest very much as Jill carried her out of the room.

Upon a Tuesday morning, at the Hufflepuff dining table, there sat Jill, and Jocasta beside her, in her usual defiance of mealtime custom these days. Not that anyone around seemed to mind. Nobody was giving Cormac any trouble for sitting with Violet at the Ravenclaw table every other day, and the Gryffindors invited Jill over to their table as often as not. Funny how that worked out.

Sparrow sat down across from them and decided this was a good time to ask them about the situation. With a bottle of ink and a quill, this time, in case she wanted to say anything less than serious. Her head was always so serious these days.

She wrote upon her parchment and handed it to Jocasta, across the kidney pie.

“Is it a whirlwind romance,” said Jocasta. She stared at the parchment for a second, then swooned, and leant herself upon Jill sitting next to her. “Oh, she positively sweeps me off my feet. Then again I would expect a Quidditch beater to do that anyway. I probably weigh less than a bludger.”

Sparrow took the parchment back, and wrote, I miss your sweet caress.

“Whose?” said Jill.

Scribble scribble. Both of you. One I understand, because we worked that out a few weeks ago. But the other! Oh! I shall become lazy and indolent without my tutor to keep me studious! And I find myself getting self-serious again, without my Lady Lawbreaker to bring me down to earth. Easy to get more anxious.

“Ah ha,” said Jocasta. “I do for you something like what you do for me. Well, my dear,” – Jocasta leant forward with her elbows on the table, in a pose of keen interest – “that is easily solved. How easy to be distracted by my whirlwind romance, eh? And perhaps I can distract you as well.”

“Assuming I believe it to be safe,” said Jill. “My apologies, Sparrow. One moment.” She whispered in Jocasta’s ear. Jocasta nodded, and Jill continued. “Sparrow, can I see your ink and quill for a moment?”

Sparrow handed over both. Jill scrawled on the parchment for a moment, then handed it back. It read, Bear in mind that we're still trying to work out how to avoid hurting you on an emotional or physical basis. Even if you could avoid suffering from the physical manifestations of our greater griefs…well, even that much is a little embarrassing to reveal! So certain topics remain rather personal, and thereby keep us distant. Couldn’t even talk about them in the Dragon Tower. Even if Filch hadn’t been there.

Sparrow took her ink and quill back, and wrote, You sound like where I was with the Lethifold, before this month.

Jill nodded.

Scribble. Couldn’t even tell me, of all people?

Jocasta’s irreverent air vanished in a moment. “Some doors are currently closed.”

Scribble. Very well.

“And on a less sensitive note,” said Jill, “considering the great passions of recent days, I have been…wary of our wands, again.”

“Wands, hm?” Jocasta wiggled her eyebrows.

Jill elbowed her. “Our literal wands, dummy. They always want to smack together when I get more heated than usual.”

Heated, hmmmmmm?”

“Shut up!”

Scribble scribble. Well, as long as we can be sure to be no farther than arm’s length.

“Please,” said Jocasta. “I will come back to you soon, Sparrow. I’m not a bad girl. This is just a casual fling.”

Jill snorted.

Scribble scribble. I have no wish to imply any jealousy on my part, especially since I’m part of the reason you two are together right now instead of slowly pining away. And it is…the season for romance. Is it not.

“Hark,” said Jocasta, “I think I detect someone grumbling. Oh, deary me, you have to deal with everyone talking about love. How dreadful. This must be a terrible season for you.”

◊◊ I. DO NOT. NEED. REMINDING. ◊◊

“The season is somewhat annoying,” said Jill. “Especially now that I get people saying they want to fit me for a suit of armor. Honestly.”

Scribble scribble. You might as well go looking for the Holy Grail at this point.

We’ll take care of that after everything else."

"Now hang on a second," said Jocasta. "Sparrow's the pure and noble one here. Looking for the Holy Grail is her job."

Scribble scribble. Noble yes pure no. Certainly not after getting involved with YOU, my dear.

Jocasta giggled. "I am a corrupting influence, then. We shall have to find someone else then. Someone like...Oh, how about Cormac?"

"An excellent choice," said Jill. "A fine fellow by all accounts, especially mine."

Scribble scribble. And yet Jill's the actual knight here.

"Oh for Heaven's sake!" said Jill. "To call me such a thing! As if Jocasta is some sort of porcelain damsel that I have to keep safe with my big strong arms."

“Not that I mind when you do,” said Jocasta.

"Not that I mind doing it," said Jill.

Scribble scribble. With all that in mind, I might need you to be able to separate yourselves for a period of time.

“Uh oh,” said Jocasta. “Watch out, Jill. She’s gonna drag you into something dangerous, and I won’t be there to save you. What is it, Sparrow? An expedition to the Forbidden Forest? A surreptititious jaunt to Hogsmeade? Tickle a sleeping dragon?”

Scribble scribble. I need help practicing nonverbal spells.

“Oh,” said Jocasta, looking a little deflated. “Well that’s less dangerous. Unless you cast an explosive charm by accident.”

“Quite the advanced subject there,” said Jill. “Not that we’re avoiding advanced subjects these days. But why me?”

Scribble scribble scribble. I figured your presence would give me some confidence, after what happened in the forbidden section of the library. You don’t have to kiss me or anything, at least I hope not. But last time you did I managed to perfect a nonverbal spell. So…maybe it would work again.

“Fair point,” said Jill, “although a kiss will be a last resort.” She gave Sparrow a Look. “I trust you not to violate that stipulation.”

Scribble. You have my word.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.