An ongoing analysis of what's going wrong with my current project.

First, a bit of background. I'm pretty heavily into a MUD called Achaea, Dreams of Divine Lands. Achaea is much more focused on player vs player combat than most MUDs, and consequently, combat is a bit more complicated than typing 'kill ogre' and hoping you have more hp than it does.

The program I'm writing will interface with zMud, the MUD client I use, via DDE, and keep track of various afflictions that my character can be hit with.

  1. Choose the wrong set of tools.
    I was pretty much forced to use Borland Delphi for this project, because I needed DDE, and didn't have the time or the ability to get my hands dirty with the details. Unfortunately, the rest of the project would have been more suited to C++ or, even better if only I knew it well enough, perl.
  2. Immediately declare the problem to be trivial, and start writing code without considering how it's all going to fit together.
    I did this, and consequently had the rather unpleasant suprise to realize halfway through that I was going to have to throw out a good chunk of code, because it didn't do what I needed it to do.
  3. Listen to loud music while trying to code.
    Specifically: The Offspring, Everclear, and Alanis Morisette. For some reason, this seems to impair my concentration.
  4. Take frequent breaks from coding to visit E2
    What do you think I'm doing now?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.