One of the playable races in the PC games Starfleet Command, Starfleet Command II: Empires at War and Starfleet Command II: Orion Pirates. Since I have never played the original SFC, this writeup will concentrate on the Hydrans as they appear in the second two.

The Hydrans reside in the southwestern sector of the map. Their space borders that of the Lyran Star Empire, the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Star Empire. The Hydrans are enemies of all three. They are allies with the Gorn, Federation and Mirak. They are also enemies of the ISC, though the considerable distance separating the two races makes conflict unlikely.

Hydran starships are moderately well shielded, with shielding similar to that of the Mirak. Their ships are armed with phasers, fusion beams and hellbore cannons, and a great many carry a small contingent of fighters. Hydran ships can be grouped into three loose categories: the fusion-armed, the hellbore-armed, and those that carry both weapon types. Fusion-armed ships excel at close combat, and can equal the Klingons in sabre dance tactics. Those armed with hellbore cannons excel at long-range sniping, while those armed with both are quite adept at all ranges. Those equipped with fighters can be very versatile.

The greatest weakness of Hydran ships is the fragility of their hulls.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.