Im*mov"a*ble (?), a.

1.

Incapable of being moved; firmly fixed; fast; -- used of material things; as, an immovable foundatin.

Immovable, infixed, and frozen round. Milton.

2.

Steadfast; fixed; unalterable; unchangeable; -- used of the mind or will; as, an immovable purpose, or a man who remain immovable.

3.

Not capable of being affected or moved in feeling or by sympathy; unimpressible; impassive.

Dryden.

4. Law.

Not liable to be removed; permanent in place or tenure; fixed; as, an immovable estate. See Immovable, n.

Blackstone.

Immovable apparatus Med., an appliance, like the plaster of paris bandage, which keeps fractured parts firmly in place. -- Immovable feasts Eccl., feasts which occur on a certain day of the year and do not depend on the date of Easter; as, Christmas, the Epiphany, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Im*mov"a*ble, n.

1.

That which can not be moved.

2. pl. CivilLaw

Lands and things adherent thereto by nature, as trees; by the hand of man, as buildings and their accessories; by their destination, as seeds, plants, manure, etc.; or by the objects to which they are applied, as servitudes.

Ayliffe. Bouvier.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.