WARNING! SPOILERS BELOW! HISTORY SHOWS AGAIN AND AGAIN HOW NATURE POINTS UP THE FOLLY OF MAN!


Title: Revisionist History
Release Date: Late October 2002
Writer: Joe Kelly
Penciller: Doug Mahnke
Inker: Tom Nguyen
JLA Members: Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, and Batman.
Guest Stars: Rama Khan, Gamemnae, Manitou Raven, Tezumak, Sela, the Golem, and the Whaler.
Bad Guys: The Scarab.
Cameos: Aquaman?

So what happens?
Okay, last issue, we were in the present day as a new JLA was formed. This issue, we're 3,000 years in the past, where the previous JLA has been stranded. They're laying low outside of the resurfaced Atlantis. The Martian Manhunter is doing invisible reconnaissance of the city, Batman is still recovering from a nasty case of time-travel sickness (and he and Wonder Woman are making goo-goo eyes at each other), Green Lantern is still having disturbing and unexplained visions of dead Justice Leaguers -- and worrying that they may be visions of the future...

And they're all avoiding the superheroes of Atlantis. What? Superheroes this far in the past? Yeah, looks like one of the Rama Khan's ancestors had moved his operation from Jarhanpur to Atlantis and built up a team of prehistoric superheroes to defend the island from a prophesied doom called the Hydra. They include the Atlantean sorceress Gamemnae, a Polynesian wielder of green energy called the Whaler, a Hebrew golem, the African strongwoman Sela, and the previously-introduced Tezumak and the shaman (whose name we finally learn: Manitou Raven). But the world was a much harsher place 3,000 years ago, and the Atlantean League doesn't hesitate to kill enemies or take slaves. Still, they take pretty good care of Atlantis -- and they'd certainly make good allies of the JLA, if not for the fact that they believed the Justice League of the future was a manifestation of the evil Hydra.

At last, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, and Plastic Man make a quiet foray into Atlantis to investigate a reflecting pool that seems to hold some special significance. And when they get there, Aquaman -- seemingly formed entirely of water -- bursts from the surface of the pool.

Cliffhanger. End of the issue. Maybe some of this will be explained next time.

Cool Quotes!
Sela: "Where I come from we have gods who deal with this sort of thing! Three of them!"
Golem: "Not now, Sela."
Sela: "Oh, that's right... "There is only one true god." That's so adorable."

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.