The Vice Presidential candidate for the U.S. Democratic Party in the 2000 election. Currently a two-term Senator from Connecticut, he served as Connecticut's attorney general and then for ten years as a state Senator before moving to the United States Congress.

Senator Lieberman is already attracting press attention because he's known as an orthodox Jew who will not campaign on the Sabbath, and is the first orthodox Jew to run for the office of Vice President in the United States. Thanks to Clinton's scandal/fiasco with Monica Lewinsky, the Democratic Party is in need of a major "family values" facelift, and Sen. Lieberman is clearly intended to help provide that. He was one of the first Senators to publicly criticize Clinton over his affair with Lewinsky. This is despite, or perhaps because of, the fact that Lieberman and Clinton are political friends; Clinton worked on Lieberman's state Senate campaign, and Lieberman was the first Northeast politician to endorse Clinton's presidential campaign in 1992.

Lieberman has been described as a "self-styled moral crusader", although his political history has shown him moving from a liberal perspective and voting record towards the middle ground; he has in recent years been outspoken about the excess of sex and violence on daytime television. Probably moreso than any other single event, his criticism of Clinton for lying about the Lewinsky affair solidified him publicly as an advocate for family values and the importance of moral propriety in the Presidential office. It's Al Gore's hope that this will help draw Republican votes to his bid for the Presidency.

Democratic Senator from Connecticut

Joe Lieberman was born in Stamford, Connecticut on February 24, 1942. He graduate from Yale College (undergrad) in 1964 and then went on to get his law degree from Yale Law School in 1967.

Lieberman was elected to the Connecticut State Senate in 1970 where he served for 10 years, 6 of which he was Majority Leader. He then served as Connecticut’s Attorney General for 6 years till he was first elected to the Senate in 1988. Six years later, he made history by winning the biggest landslide victory ever in a Connecticut Senate race, drawing 67 percent of the vote and beating his opponent by more than 350,000 votes. In 2000, Lieberman was elected to a third term, garnering 64 percent of the vote.

In 2000 he was the Democratic candidate for Vice President, becoming the first Jewish-American (as well as the first orthodox Jewish person) to be nominated for that office. In addition, he received more votes for Vice-President than any Democrat in history.

Lieberman Co-authored the V-chip law which was designed to help parents limit children’s access to offensive material on television by blocking shows that were rated to violent or sexual. Along with former Education Secretary William Bennett he is working to shame media content providers into behaving more responsibly. They give those they consider “nation’s leading cultural polluters” their Silver Sewer Award .

Lieberman has written five books: The Power Broker (1966), a biography of John M. Bailey; The Scorpion and the Tarantula (1970), a study of early efforts to control nuclear proliferation; The Legacy (1981), a history of Connecticut politics from 1930-1980; Child Support in America (1986), which outlines methods of collection of child support from delinquent fathers, and In Praise of Public Life (2000).

Lieberman is a past chairman of the Democratic Leadership Council, which is "an idea center, catalyst, and national voice for a reform movement that is reshaping American politics by moving it beyond the old left-right debate."

Lieberman lives in New Haven and Washington with his wife Hadassah. They are the parents of four children: Matthew, Rebecca, Ethan, and Hana. They also have two granddaughters, Tennessee and Willie.

His Committees:

His website and contact information:
Telephone: (202) 224-4041
Homepage: http://lieberman.senate.gov/
Online contact: http://lieberman.senate.gov/
Office: Room 706 in Hart Senate Office Building

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.