Ingredients:
3 large cloves garlic
2 inch nub of ginger
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsp garam masala (failing that, curry powder *)
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cumin
1 hot red chilli or 1 tsp red chilli powder/flakes
1 tsp tomato puree
2 medium red onions
6 plump tomatoes
1 small pot of natural yoghurt
Bunch fresh coriander
500-600g lamb (off the bone) chunks/cuts
Some vegetable oil (or ghee if you have it)
Salt

Method:
Grate the ginger using the fine side of a cheese grater. Do the same with the garlic and mash together. Chop the 2 onions as finely as possible. Chop the tomatoes and reserve the as much of the juice as possible, or whizz them in a blender.

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium sized pot on a high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, not brown. Add garlic and ginger mush and fry for about 30 seconds, just enough to start releasing the flavours. Reduce to a medium heat. Now add all the spices, chilli and lamb pieces. Mix really well, giving the lamb a good coating of spices. Make sure the mixture doesn't start to burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. If this starts to happen, add a small amount of oil or water. Fry for about 5 minutes.

By now, you should be coughing due to the pungency of the frying spices. This is a good sign! Now add the chopped/pulped tomatoes. Use fresh tomatoes, vine if possible, for this. Canned tomatoes suck by comparison. Add two good dessert spoon sized measures of natural yoghurt and a teaspoon of tomato puree. Add a good pinch of salt. Mix well, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a low setting. My hob goes up to 5, I reduce heat to 1.

Leave to cook slowly for 90 minutes, giving everything a good stir after 45 minutes. When cooked, chop up some fresh coriander and mix in. Serve with basmati rice and a Dunnes Stores garlic and coriander naan.

Serves 2.

Enjoy with a beer or a decent glass of red wine.


Variations: I've heard of Rogan Josh garnished with toasted almonds, which sounds very nice indeed. I've also had it made with whole cherry tomatoes, also tasty.


* CloudStrife says re Lamb Rogan Josh: 's probably worth noting that Garam Masala is a quite different beast to whatever Sharwoods or Goodalls put in their containers marked "Curry Powder"...;)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.