2001 U.S. Open Champion

Tennis, that is; there are many U.S. Open championships, golf and tennis are just two. But today, September 9, 2001, a young Aussie won the crown in Flushing Meadows by beating one of the best, Pete Sampras.

Born in Adelaide, Australia on February 24, 1981, Lleyton's parents were both athletes; she a champion netballer and he an Australian footballer. With a court in his backyard, Leyton began early and at the age of four, a coach was employed. His improvement continued over the years and in 1998, Lleyton won his first title, fittingly in the town of his birth, Adelaide. That was just a little over three years ago.

In 1999, with Lleyton's help, Australia won the Davis Cup for the first time in 13 years. He since has victories over the best, including Rafter, Kueten, Corretja, and Sampras. In this tournament's quarterfinals, Lleyton played the newest sensation, Andy Roddick, and won in an incredible 5 set match. From that match until todays victory over Sampras, Leyton Hewitt has shown why he will be around for a long time to come. Australia can be proud and the rest of us glad for the new kid on the court.


Source:http://www.members.tripod.com/kerrin.lee/profile.htm
Lleyton Hewitt, from Adelaide, South Australia, is a former world No. 1 ranked tennis player. Born February 24, 1981, he went on to become one of South Australia's favourite sons, becoming the youngest ever male player to reach the No. 1 spot in the history of the game (at just 20 years of age). He held this position for 64 consecutive weeks, 68 in total, and since late 2003 his highest ranking has been 2nd. In 2001 he won the US Open, defeating Pete Sampras in the final (Sampras went on to win the following year), and in 2002 Hewitt added Wimbledon to his list of achievements, defeating Argentine David Nalbandian in straight sets.

Hewitt is known for speaking his mind on and off the court, and was fined once for not showing up to a press conference. He also has a running rivalry with Argentine player David Nalbandian, who was recently quoted as saying that Hewitt has "no friends" on the ATP tour.

Hewitt has won 25 titles since turning pro in 1998, earning himself $16,609,137 in the process. He is well liked by fans for his guts and determination, his never-say-die attitude, and his trademark shouts of "COME ON!" after winning a big point. In 2005 he married Rebecca Cartwright of Home And Away fame. Their first child, a daughter named Mia Rebecca Hewitt, was born on November 29, 2005. Lleyton is currently 20th in the world.

www.atptennis.com/www.wikipedia.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.