Mary Ann Glendon (1938- ), Learned Hand Professor of Law, Harvard Law School. Professor Glendon specializes in Family Law, Human Rights, and Comparative Constitutional Law. Her career spans almost 40 years including teaching positions at prestigious law schools. She has served as a civil rights attorney and a criminal defense attorney. Mary Ann Glendon has written many books on the law and its effects on American society. She has also written articles appearing in The New Republic and The Wall Street Journal. In 1975 she received a Ford Foundation Fellowship. She is a Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Mary Ann Glendon was interviewed in 1988 by Bill Moyers for his PBS series A World of Ideas. That conversation is summarized in Laws Tell Stories and Family Law in America and Europe (circa 1988).

Career Highlights:

Mary Ann Glendon received her degrees from the University of Chicago: BA in 1959, Juris Doctor in 1961, and Masters in Comparative Law in 1963. She was admitted to the bar in Illinois in 1964 and Massachusetts in 1980.

Positions:

1963
Legal Intern, European Economic Community, Brussels, Belgium
1963-68
Associate, Mayer, Brown & Platt, Chicago, IL.
1968-86
Professor, Boston College
1974-75
Visiting Professor, Harvard University
1983, 84, 86
Visiting Professor, University of Chicago
1986-
Professor of Law, Harvard University
1993-
Learned Hand Professor of Law

Profesor Glendon has authored many books in the field of family and comparative law. The following books are available on Amazon.com

  1. Abortion and Divorce in Western Law, (Harvard University Press, 1987)
  2. The Transformation of Family Law, (University of Chicago Press, 1989)
  3. Rights Talk: The Impoverishment of Political Discourse, (Free Press, 1991)
  4. A Nation under Lawyers How the Crisis in the Legal Profession is Transforming American Society, (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1994)
  5. Seedbeds of Virtue: Sources of Competence, Character, and Citizenship in American Society, editor, (Madison Books, 1995)
  6. Comparative Legal Traditions, (West, 1999)
  7. A World Made New: Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, (Random House, 2001 (forthcoming))

Sources:

  • "Mary Ann Glendon", Harvard Law School, http://www.law.Harvard.edu/faculty/directory/facdir.php?id=23, 7/26/01
  • Who's Who in America 2000 Millennium Edition, Marquis Who's Who, New Providence, NJ, 1999, vol 1, page 1777.
  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.