American animator (1908-1981). One of the cartoon writers for the classic Warner Brothers cartoons. He was born in Manhattan to a poor Italian family. As a child, he enjoyed making funny drawings, but in his teens, he worked as a plumber's helper. He eventually quit that job, disgusted with having to work in extremely cold conditions (he went to work one morning to find that his overalls had frozen solid).

Soon afterwards, he lucked into a job as an in-betweener for the Terrytoons studio (in his job interview, he suggested a slogan for a cartoon elevator: Good to the Last Drop. He was, of course, offered the job). He worked for Terrytoons for about a year before moving to the Warner Brothers cartoon studio in Los Angeles.

Many of the cartoons that Maltese wrote were created in partnership with director Chuck Jones, including "Fast and Furry-ous" (the first Roadrunner cartoon), "For Scent-imental Reasons" (an Oscar winner), "The Rabbit of Seville," "Rabbit Fire," "Feed the Kitty," "Beep, Beep," "Rabbit Seasoning," "Duck Amuck," "Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century," "Bully for Bugs" (another Oscar winner), "Duck! Rabbit! Duck!," "One Froggy Evening" (he helped compose that cartoon's "Michigan Rag"), "Ali Baba Bunny," "Robin Hood Daffy," "What's Opera, Doc?," and many others. He also appeared as a security guard in "You Ought to Be in Pictures," a classic Friz Freleng cartoon that mixed animation with live action.

Primary research from Chuck Jones' brilliant autobiography "Chuck Amuck".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.