For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, summer is quickly approaching, so I thought a refreshing libation (as my grandfather used to say) might be appreciated.

Ingredients

  • 5 or 6 limes
  • 2 or 3 lemons
  • about 1/2 cup simple syrup (to taste)
    --You could just use regular sugar, but it takes forever to dissolve.
  • water
  • pinch of salt
    --I know, you're thinking "Salt? Are you crazy?" But it really gives it that certain je ne sais quoi that we all strive for in cooking (and life, for that matter).
  • several large sprigs of fresh mint


What To Do

Squeeze the lemons and limes to make about one cup of juice. You can vary the proportions if you like it more lemony or limey.

In a two-quart pitcher, mix juice, syrup, water and salt. Taste and adjust for sweetness and sourness.

Add the mint sprigs to the pitcher, and let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so. You can leave the mint in for about 24 hours, but then you should take it out so it doesn't get slimy. The mint flavor should gently infuse the juice, for a refreshing yet not medicinal flavor. Yay.


Mode of Presentation

Serve over ice in iced-tea glasses, with grandma's iced-tea spoons, and garnish with a sprig of mint.

Now, go put on your white linen dress or seersucker suit and sit out on the porch swing. Give some to the neighbors when they come by.

Share and Enjoy

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.