I am watching the Misery Map, here: https://flightaware.com/miserymap/. It is a map of delayed and cancelled airline flights.

Wow, this is amazing. Flightaware lists the numbers of cancelled and delayed flights, and then you can look at the Misery Map. Right at the moment, there are 89 delays and 65 cancellations in the US. Pointing at any hub tells you the number for that area. I am down in the DC area currently. It looks like flights back to my home are going, in spite of Pacific NW snow. My small town has to dust off the plow. Right. We have one. We are pretty darn proud that we have one.

I knew that Omicron was hitting when we flew. I thought it was 50/50 that our flight would go. We made it the day before the really big numbers of cancellations hit.

B is in another state. Two days ago his flight back with his three family members got cancelled. They are now scheduled for Saturday but there is a storm hitting. So he thinks they may not fly until Sunday. A five day delay. He is four hours from his son's by car, but has another family member in the city they are flying from. They have been told it's weather, not Omicron, so no motel reimbursement. Is Omicron an Act of God or not?

The IT is supposed to fly on New Year's Day. Maybe yes, maybe no. There is less Omicron around than the CDC initially estimated, which is actually bad, because it is going to increase hugely over the next week. I think it has not peaked yet. We still don't know if people get Long Haul from Omicron. Not knowing, I would still be extremely cautious.

I am supposed to fly in early January. I think the airlines will have made proof of vaccination a requirement by then, or will be quick testing people at the airport before they fly. Because they'd like to keep the planes in the air. I bought a straw for the flight, made of pottery, so I could drink coffee on the plane with my mask on, sliding the straw under the mask. I am sure I will drop and break it eventually, but it's cool for now.

unreassuring: https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/12/23/22850161/omicron-variant-long-haul-covid-wave-february "In October, a study published in JAMA Network Open found that 45% of early COVID-19 survivors had at least one COVID-19 symptom one year after they were released from the hospital." That is hospitalized people, but people who have mild cases can also get Long Haul. Estimates vary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.