Mr. Majestic #1 is a one shot comic book, titled "Cosmology", published by Wildstorm, at the time a subsidiary of DC Comics, in September of 1999. It was written by Joe Casey and Brian Holguin, and illustrated by Ed McGuiness and Jason Martin.

One thing I like about my reviewing of single issues is that I don't always have to place comics within a larger continuity, especially when that continuity can be quite convoluted, inside and out. It is very clear from this comic that Mr. Majestic is a Superman analog: a powerful alien who has super-strength, flight, laser vision and even a "fortress of solitude", only below Mount Rushmore instead of in the arctic---quite a few of the comic book companies of the early 1990s included a Superman, such as Supreme by Rob Liefeld. Things were confused when DC acquired Wildstorm, meaning that Mr. Majestic met Superman. All of this is stuff you don't need to know to read this. All you have to get is the idea that we have a character with incredibly strong powers.

As the story begins, our protagonist is flying in space, contemplating an unseen menace. When he returns to earth, he tells his resident whiz kid, named Desmond, about the problem. They convene a panel of expert physicists and cosmologists to work on the problem. We, as readers, don't quite know what the problem is, but we see the solution work out over decades: Mr. Majestic slowly starts changing the solar system. He drags Mercury into orbit around Jupiter. He creates rings around Mars. He changes Jupiter's appearance, erasing the Great Red Spot. All of this takes decades, starting in the 1960s and ending presumably around the time of publication. Finally, earth itself is moved to a different location and the sun is turned into a binary star. During this, we aren't told why Mr. Majestic is doing this, although the final pages confirm what the reader probably suspected: some type of terrible alien creature, an evil abyss, has come to prey upon earth. But when it reaches our solar system, it thinks it is lost: the solar system is different than what it was looking for, and it withdraws.

All of this is shown with simple, bold art that really captures the cosmic scale of what is going on. The few characters are shown distinctly, and since the story takes place over decades, there isn't extraneous dialog or extra characters, just the basic cosmic struggle. True science-fiction isn't common in super-hero comics, but this story manages to take a simple science-fiction concept: "What if we had to hide the earth", and displays the concept in an interesting, but direct way, using words and pictures. I also liked that I didn't have to know anything about the labyrinthine continuity of the character to appreciate this story.

Interesting enough, the last time I came across the writing of Joe Casey, it was in Sex #3, which was a derivative, pretentious mess. In this story (written a decade earlier), he manages to provide an interesting but accessible story---I imagine because he was working for a major publisher. Sometimes editorial fiats destroy creativity, but just as often, they give a writer the structure to make a story accessible.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.