A logic/functional programming language with strong. static type, mode, and determinism checking. Mercury is designed for declarative programming and is side effect free. The languages most similar to it in my opinion are Prolog and Haskell.

mercury, and it's position in the sky at birth is used in astrology to describe thought processes. mercury symbolizes:

in astrological charts, mercury is symbolized as a figure wearing the winged hat (petasus) of the roman god mercury:
               
            `-.___.-'
             .'   `.
             |  .  |
             `.___.'
             ___|___
                |
                |

(So named (Latin Mercurius, "Mercury") by the alchemists because of its fluidity) A heavy, silver-white metallic chemical element, the only metal liquid at standard temperature and pressure, which sometimes occurs in a free state but usually in combination with sulfur. Mercury is toxic and cumulative in the body, readily absorbed through the respiratory tract, the gastrointestinal tract or through the skin. It is used in thermometers, barometers, and other laboratory instruments; in mercury switches and other electrical apparatus; in mercury-vapor lamps; and in dentistry.

Symbol: Hg (Latin: hydrargyrum)
Atomic number: 80
Atomic weight: 200.59
Density (at room temperature and pressure): 13.546 g/cc
Melting point: -38.87°C
Boiling point: 357°C
Valence: +1, +2
Ground state electron configuration: [Xe]4f145d106s2

Also called: quicksilver
Mercury
Symbol: Hg
Atomic Number: 80
Atomic Weight: 200.59
Boiling Point: 629.88 K
Melting Point: 234.31 K
Density at 300K: 13.55 g/cm3
Covalent radius: 1.49
Atomic radius: 1.76
Atomic volume: 14.80 cm3/mol
First ionization potental: 10.437 V
Specific heat capacity: 0.140 Jg-1K-1
Thermal conductivity: 8.34 Wm-1K-1
Electrical conductivity: 1.0*106Ω-1m-1
Heat of fusion: 2.292 kJ/mol
Heat of vaporization: 59.30 kJ/mol
Electronegativity: 2.00 (Pauling's)

Previous Gold---Thallium Next
To the Periodic Table

compiled overview of the 20ton Mercury 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The unveiling of the Mercury was heralded as the dawn of a new age in BattleMech design. Billed as an obvious successor to the aging Stinger and Wasp, the Mercury answered many dreams of scout lance pilots. Initial specifications called for the light 'Mech to be faster and better armed than any other in its class, all without a reduction in armor.

Deployed for the first time in 2742, the Mercury was an electronic marvel, the showpiece of the Star League Defense Forces. At the unveiling, Mitchell Vehicles spokesmen described multiple breakthrough systems only in general terms. None of the new 'Mechs were allowed outside the direct control of the Regular Army.

Up to the time of the Exodus, the new Mercury 'Mechs remained posted with units that were stationed on Terra, and at the factory on Graham IV. All these units left with General Aleksandr Kerensky. The highest concentration to remain behind were with the Eighth Recon Battalion of the Third Regimental Combat Team, known as the Eridani Light Horse, which later became a renowned mercenary unit. The Eighth lost all twelve of its Mercury 'Mechs during fighting on Sendai in 2798.

Over the years, replacement parts for the Mercury’s more exotic electronic equipment have become more and more difficult to find. The specialized myomer that allowed the Mercury to put on great bursts of speed is no longer available, nor is the advanced composite armor with which the 'Mech was initially equipped. As a result, the remaining operational Mercurys must make do with inferior replacement parts.

With its high speed and energy-based weapons, the Mercury is an ideal scout and raider, capable of remaining in the field for as long as the pilot is able to withstand the stresses of battle.

The few critics of the design decry the Mercurys lack of jump jets, pointing out that in combat conducted in built-up areas such as a city, the ability to jump gives a smart pilot the opportunity to get behind an opponent and attack the weaker rear armor. Despite this apparent drawback, the Mercury is well accepted by light lance commanders, because urban combat is far less common in 3025 than it was during the First and Second Succession Wars. Though comparable in weight to the Stinger and Wasp, the Mercurys heavier weapons and armor give it a decided edge in combat, and its superior ground speed allows it to quickly withdraw from larger opponents.

Though both Martell medium lasers use the same type of barrel and targeting feeds, they feature completely distinct power systems. The right arm laser diffuses the power all along the upper and lower arm, housing redundant systems in both sections to provide backup capabilities should one part of the arm be damaged. The torso mount, however, clusters the entire system into a compact area. Any damage to the torso, other than a direct hit on the power system, is likely to pass through, missing the laser entirely.

The Hessen IX small lasers in the head and the center torso are a matched pair. The lasers are slipped into place, bolted down and connected in three places to the power circuits and cooling feeds. If the lasers are damaged or destroyed, the bolts can be removed and the entire system replaced, usually within minutes. This modular replacement system was expected to revolutionize the logistical support of field units, but the Exodus and First Succession War effectively put an end to any radical departure from standard military procedure. The value of this 'Mech's modular design was lost to the Successor States, but not to the heirs of Kerensky. This 'Mech clearly inspired the OmniMechs that have so recently terrorized the Inner Sphere.

Using a basic structure, power plant and main torso, the Mercury can support many combinations of weapons systems and other equipment. The most obvious advantage of this modular construction is the ease of maintenance and repair. Recovery from battle damage is a simple matter. Of almost equal importance is the ability to vary the 'Mech's weapon mix, tailoring it for a specific mission and keeping the enemy guessing about the Mercury's abilities.

Though not in service with the Successor States or mercenary units, the Mercury is common in the Com Guards, especially with The Grace of Thought IV-xi and Straight Words IV-epsilon. Drawing mostly reconnaissance and intelligence missions, these 'Mechs differ from the usual Equipment Package 99 variety of Mercury seen most often in the Star League Army. The Com Guards' Mercury MCY-97 carries the Beagle active probe for enhanced detection capability and Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry for fast getaways, giving up a medium laser and a small laser to make room. Though a weak fighter, this model is a premier reconnaissance 'Mech.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

The planet Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun in our Solar System. It was named after "Mercury" the speedy Roman god. It was given this name because it appears to move faster than any other planet. Mercury has quite a lot in common with our moon, although it is larger. (Two other moons are actually larger than Mercury, they are Titan and Ganymede). The only planet smaller than Mercury is Pluto.

The surface of Mercury is very similar to that of the moon. It is covered in craters, jagged cliffs, and dusty hills. From Mercury's surface the sun would take up nearly half of the black sky (the sky on Mercury is black, not blue, this is because the planet has almost no atmosphere to generate the illusion of a blue sky). From the nighttime side, both Earth and Venus would be visible about half of the time.

It is difficult to view Mercury from Earth. It can only be seen during the daytime (which is not exactly a great time to attempt to view planets), or for a brief period before the sunrise and after the sunset (this isn't much better, as it appears just over the horizon, and the light is going through a lot more atmosphere than if you were viewing it head on). Most of our information about Mercury comes from the Mariner 10 spacecraft, which flew past Mercury three times in the mid 1970s.

Early astronomers thought that Mercury was tidally locked, and only showed one face towards the Sun (like our own moon). By the early 1960s that theory had been refuted, because researchers determined (via radio waves), that Mercury's dark side was too hot for it to possibly be tidally locked. By 1965 they had determined a rotational period of 59 days, later the Mariner 10 data showed an exact rotational period of 58.646 days. So it is not tidally locked, but its rotation an orbit are related. It has exactly 1.5 days per Mercurian year (in other words it spins around 3 times for every two times it rotates the sun). This peculiar trait means that a "day" on Mercury actually lasts 176 Earth days (even though it only takes 58 days to rotate). There is much evidence to support the theory that Mercury once had a much faster rotational period (as quick as 8 hours), but that the Sun has been slowing it down for millions of years. If this theory is true, then Mercury will eventually become tidally locked.

The Mariner 10 space probe flew past Mercury three times in 1974 and 1975. During these flights we learned quite a bit about the planet, and managed to photograph nearly half of its surface. The biggest surprise was the discovery of a magnetic field. Everyone had thought that Mercury was far too small to support the required core of molten iron to generate a magnetic field via the dynamo effect. This field is a weak one, only 1 percent of the strength of the Earth's magnetic field. A few researchers say that the field actually comes from magnetized iron rocks scattering the planet, and not a molten core at all. One thing we do know for certain is that Mercury is made up mostly of metal. The planet is just as dense as Earth is, and it appears to be made up of at least sixty percent metal (iron mostly).

The surface of Mercury is that of a dead world. It is mostly covered with great plains, left over from prehistoric lava flows. These plains are broken up by great cliffs that run for hundreds of kilometers. These cliffs were apparently created far in the past when Mercury contracted in size (because of a reduction in temperature). Finally there are the craters, they are everywhere. Mercury is as littered with craters as our own moon. Mariner 10 photographed craters from as small as its minimum resolution (100 meters), to as large as 1300 kilometers (the Caloris Basin). These craters are of all different ages, from billions of years old, right up to fresh craters that are only a few thousand years old (virtual youngsters).

Recent data has suggested that Mercury may have a bit of water at its North Pole. Radar data indicates that the interior of several craters (which are in polar areas that are never in direct sunlight), may have frozen water just below the surface. Although further research is needed before this can be considered a fact. But luckily further research is on the way, in the form of the Messenger space probe, which was originally scheduled to visit Mercury on March 23, 2004. The Messenger launch was unfortunately delayed, and it did not end up being launched until August 3, 2004, and the first Mercury flyby is not scheduled until 2008, with actual orbit being scheduled for 2011. The reason it is going to take so long is because NASA set things up so gravity does almost all the work.

Mercury, by the numbers
  • Mass 3.303e+23 Kilograms
  • Mass (Earth = 1) 5.5271e-02
  • Equatorial radius 2,439.7 Kilometers
  • Equatorial radius (Earth = 1) 3.8252e-01
  • Mean density (gm/cm^3) 5.42
  • Mean distance from the Sun (km) 57,910,000
  • Rotational period 58.6462 Days
  • Orbital period 87.969 Days
  • Mean orbital velocity 47.88 km/sec
  • Orbital eccentricity 0.2056
  • Tilt of axis 0
  • Orbital inclination (degrees) 7.004 Degrees
  • Equatorial surface gravity (m/sec^2) 2.78
  • Equatorial escape velocity (km/sec) 4.25
  • Visual geometric albedo 0.10
  • Magnitude -1.9 Vo
  • Mean surface temperature 179°C
  • Maximum surface temperature 427°C
  • Minimum surface temperature -173°C
  • Atmospheric composition Helium 42%, Sodium 42%, Oxygen 15%, Other 1%
Roman god of communication, messenger of the gods

Known to the Greeks as Hermes, Mercury was the son of Jupiter and Maia. Worshipped by the Romans from early days (many of the legends of Hermes were 'adopted' from Greece), a temple was dedicated to him on the Aventine Hill in Rome on 15th May, 495 BC, the anniversary of which was celebrated annually, jointly with his mother.

As the Greeks, so with the Romans. He was a god of trickery, deceit and thievery, also of commerce and communication - a strange mix, which made me wonder about the honesty of Roman businesspeople. He was considered to be the messenger of the gods, and is also said to have guided the souls of the dead into Hades, taking the role of a psychopomp.

His role as thief began shortly after his birth, when he stole a herd of cows from Apollo, tricking his pursuers by making shoes for the cows and having them walk backwards to confuse the trail. From the entrails of some of the cows, Mercury made the strings of a lyre, which he later traded with Apollo for the cows he had stolen.

Fleet of foot, he is often pictured wearing either winged sandals (talaria) or a winged cap (a petasus), and he is frequently portrayed carrying a caduceus, a staff of hazel (or willow) entwined with snakes, which served to protect him in his travels. His 'job' as messenger enabled him to move throughout all the worlds, both celestial and earthly, which enabled him to become knowledgeable about many things which were mysteries even to other gods.

He later became identified with the Germanic god Woden (Norse Odin), and indeed, the same weekday was dedicated to him - Wednesday ("Wodin's day") and the Norwegian Onsdag (Odin's Day), also known to the Romans as Dies Mercurii ("Mercury's day") - a reminder of this is still with us, the French for Wednesday being Mercredi.

He was known by many names in different cultures. Hermes, Wodin, Turms to the Etruscans, Thoth to the Egyptians, Nabu to the Assyrians and Gud to the Sumerians.

Major sources:
http://www.hermograph.com/science/mercury2.htm
Encyclopædia Britannica
BlueDragon
SharQ

Mercury: A (no longer used) treatment for syphilis, which gave rise to the saying: 'spend one night with Venus and the rest of your life with Mercury.' Known to have been used by noted bohemian luminaries, such as Baudelaire, Flaubert, Maupassant, and Daudet. Brief History Mercury's use for syphilis has been traced back to 1496, when Giorgio Sommariva of Verona employed ore cinnabar, a form of mercury until then used as an ointment applied to skin lesions of lepers, to treat the bacteria. It was used in the form of ointments, taken orally, and also vapour baths. Jacopo Berengario da Carpi became famous in Italy soon after this first treatment for successfully administering mercury to syphilitic patients. Such treatments remained popular until the start of the 20th Century, with their use being extended to most skin ailments.
Mercury is the name of yet another Energy Drink, though it calls itself a Performance Supplement. Slightly smaller than most energy drinks, 7.9 ounces instead of the usual 8.4 ounces, it has a strikingly different look as it comes not in a can, but in a wide mouthed bottle of roughly the same aspect ratio as an average energy drink.

To my mouth, it tastes rather like Maalox, and its nutritional information is somewhat lackluster. I wouldn't have bought it in a store, but it was on the menu at Saucy's in New Orleans and the waiter gave it a glowing review.

 

non-carbonated

Mercury was developed to provide athletes with instant and sustained energy, improved reaction time and enhanced alertness for superior performance.

For more information on Mercury, check out teammog.com or call 1.800.808.1664

This product is not recommended for children, pregnant women or persons sensitive to caffeine. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Please Recycle.
Refrigerate after opening.

©The Mercury Group, L.L.C. 444 Danbury Road, Wilton, CT.

 

Supplement Facts:
Serv. Size: 1 Bottle (233 ml)
Calories 90
Total Carb. 24 g - 8%
      Sugars 14 g
Protein 0 g
Sodium 190 mg - 8%
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 100%
Vitamin E 100%
Vitamin B12 100%
----------------
Maltodextrin 9000 mg
Dextrose 4000 mg
Rhodiola 300 mg
Korean Ginseng 250 mg
L-Tyrosine
Caffeine 150 mg

 

Ingredients :

Title: Mercury
Developer: Awesome Studios
Publisher: Ignition Entertainment
Year: 2005
Platforms: PlayStation Portable
Genre: Puzzle platformer
Players: One player only
Rating: 5/5
Summary: Pretty and fun, although frustrating at times.

Mercury is a fairly simple puzzle game for the Playstation Portable. Being a fan of the genre many years ago, I decided to try it out. Many people have noted its similarities to Marble Madness, but I found it to have even more in common with Scarabeus (also known as Pyramids of Ra, and cloned as Sensitive) and Sokoban (also known as Boxxle), requiring you to combine your puzzle solving skills and your hand-to-eye co-ordination.

Comparing Mercury to games of the eighties doesn't do it justice, of course. The levels are simple by zeros standards, meaning that the PSP has more than enough processing power to render beautiful worlds. The titular mercury itself not only looks great - which it really does - but also moves with amazing realism, be it a big blob with enough surface tension to mostly stick together, or a series of smaller, faster blobs that fall off all too easily.

The ambient soundtrack is also more professional and varied than previous technology allowed, consisting of a staggering number of short, looped pieces of music spanning pretty much the full range of modern electronic music.

I'm convinced Mercury is too complex, with a large array of different things to encounter and even different goals for different levels. For instance, quite why some levels have chequered tiles for goals and others have pressure-sensitive lampposts that essentially achieve the same thing is beyond me. Nevertheless, if you can look past the intimidating instructions of the tutorial, most levels are fairly straightforward after one or two attempts.

Overal, Mercury seems as if its designers weren't sure exactly which direction they wanted to take it in, and as a result it ended up being several slightly different games in one. Still, each of its gameplay types is fun and addictive. As much as I suspect Mercury's concept can be improved and refined, it's already a joy to play, and it's as pretty as it is fun. I'd recommend it to all puzzle game fans and casual gamers.

MFS, respond, assist police, Bartels Road, Adelaide map one one eight lima eleven tango golf one eight two, Exercise Mercury, priority two, multiple shootings, number of deceased, rendezvous point two hundred metres East on Bartels Road, SAAS patient removal, Adelaide Two Zero One and Two Zero Three

09:46 Tuesday morning, a nightmarish call went out on the SAGRN. The two fire units rolled to Rymill Park, where police and ambulance officers had already been in attendance for the past half an hour. By 10:00, all three emergency services had forward command posts established on Bartels Road, just off the Eastern parklands. Injured, dead, armed, uniformed, running, negotiating, coordinating, the area swarmed with people. The situation, codenamed Mercury, was declared a full-blown terrorist attack.

11:00, and the situation had moved through the middle of the CBD, to Mile End on the Western outskirts. A mobile drug lab were called as matters continued to escalate. They identified explosive materials, confirming grave suspicions. Hazmat specialists waited to contain the materials, but there was little they could do until suspects had been coerced into handing them over. As of 11:13, security was declared high for all MFS resources in the state. 11:22, a dedicated talkgroup on the GRN was assigned to the incident. 13:00, police were still attempting negotiations with the terrorists, and making very little progress. Explosives were involved, and they could not afford to try to approach. Firearms were unaccounted for, the location of some unknown.

A bus was hijacked, with fifteen hostages held on board. By 15:00, 50% of all emergency vehicles servicing the Adelaide area were in use at the scene. Carefully, officials released the bus, and let the terrorists drive the vehicle, packed with explosives, to the Islington railway yards. Meanwhile, available fire and EMS units were still attending everyday callouts, suffering a significantly increased load on every staff member and vehicle due to the reduced numbers. Still, everyone kept a cool head. Brooklyn Park's dispatcher even checked up on one if its crew's brand new baby. Forward command posts were relocated again, to the Regency Park SES depot, as close as they dared get to the escalating hostage situation at the railway yards.

Should they attempt to enter the bus, or was it about to just blow up on them? It was a code grey. 17:00, all but one suspect was secured, escaping from the bus, but taking no hostages. All SAAS and MFS resources had to be held at forward control until discussions with the SAPOL forward commander could be completed. Eventually they decided to go in. At 17:21, the area was declared safe, and sighs of relief were breathed as the code green was called in.

Debriefing completed, 24-08-10 @ 22:24:12 -

MFS: Senior Group Officer DO Goreham advises that all MFS resources now released from Exercise Mercury 10, and our involvement is completed

I kind of wish someone had of told me beforehand, but apparently SAPOL did letterbox drop over 10,000 residents who may have been affected. Terrorism Exercise Mercury 10 was the first inter-organisation training exercise of its kind since 2005. The purpose was to ensure that everyone could be ready in the event of a real threat. And surely, it is only a matter of time before just such a real threat occurs.

Adelaide, so I herd u liek being ready for terrorist attacks?

Mer"cu*ry (?), n. [L. Mercurius; akin to merx wares.]

1. Rom. Myth.

A Latin god of commerce and gain; -- treated by the poets as identical with the Greek Hermes, messenger of the gods, conductor of souls to the lower world, and god of eloquence.

2. Chem.

A metallic element mostly obtained by reduction from cinnabar, one of its ores. It is a heavy, opaque, glistening liquid (commonly called quicksilver), and is used in barometers, thermometers, ect. Specific gravity 13.6. Symbol Hg (Hydrargyrum). Atomic weight 199.8. Mercury has a molecule which consists of only one atom. It was named by the alchemists after the god Mercury, and designated by his symbol, &mercury;.

⇒ Mercury forms alloys, called amalgams, with many metals, and is thus used in applying tin foil to the backs of mirrors, and in extracting gold and silver from their ores. It is poisonous, and is used in medicine in the free state as in blue pill, and in its compounds as calomel, corrosive sublimate, etc. It is the only metal which is liquid at ordinary temperatures, and it solidifies at about -39° Centigrade to a soft, malleable, ductile metal.

3. Astron.

One of the planets of the solar system, being the one nearest the sun, from which its mean distance is about 36,000,000 miles. Its period is 88 days, and its diameter 3,000 miles.

4.

A carrier of tidings; a newsboy; a messenger; hence, also, a newspaper.

Sir J. Stephen. "The monthly Mercuries." Macaulay.

5.

Sprightly or mercurial quality; spirit; mutability; fickleness.

[Obs.]

He was so full of mercury that he could not fix long in any friendship, or to any design. Bp. Burnet.

6. Bot.

A plant (Mercurialis annua), of the Spurge family, the leaves of which are sometimes used for spinach, in Europe.

⇒ The name is also applied, in the United States, to certain climbing plants, some of which are poisonous to the skin, esp. to the Rhus Toxicodendron, or poison ivy.

Dog's mercury Bot., Mercurialis perennis, a perennial plant differing from M. annua by having the leaves sessile. -- English mercury Bot., a kind of goosefoot formerly used as a pot herb; -- called Good King Henry. -- Horn mercury Min., a mineral chloride of mercury, having a semitranslucent, hornlike appearance.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mer"cu*ry, v. t.

To wash with a preparation of mercury.

[Obs.]

B. Jonson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.